VMware Cloud Community
Thibault
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ballon driver running with plenty of available memory - looking for answer as to why.

I have a couple of ESX servers that are actively running balloon driver but there appears to be plenty of available memory to support the current workloads. From VC looking at one of those ESX servers in the summary tab the Memory usage is displaying 14.08GB of memory used out of 32GB. When looking at ESXTOP = MEMCTL (MB): 437 curr, 437 target, 10649 max. It looks like balloon driver has reached it's target and I would expect that it would finish up and stop running. NO VM's have limits setup for their resource use, not using resource pools. I am just curious why these servers are displaying balloon activity while other ESX servers with much more demanding workloads are not...Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Which ESX vesrion? In 3.5 was a reported bug.

Have you cross checked that the "unlimited" tab at the memory resource is ticked for the guests in question?

AWo
VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Which ESX vesrion? In 3.5 was a reported bug.

Have you cross checked that the "unlimited" tab at the memory resource is ticked for the guests in question?

AWo
VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Thibault
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually this server is running at 3.0.3. All VM's on this guest are set to "unlimited" memory allocation in the resources tab. Thanks

0 Kudos