VMware Cloud Community
goyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bad ESX version number on vSphere Client

Hi,

I just install the last patch of ESX 4 and the ESX version go to 193498 on the screen server but on vSphere Client the number is always 175625. Before 193498, the real number was 18XXXX and on vSphere Client i ever had this problem.

Do you have a solution ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Same problem here; I've installed all the latest patches yesterday and my build version in VC and on the Host (connected via VC Client) stays 175625.

Console tell's me that my build version is 164009 (vmware -v)

0 Kudos
goyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

also 164009 with command vmware -v but 193498 on the Alt-F1 screen (i think it is the good version)

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I guess someone @ VMware forgot to update the "version-counter" in all

places Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
VirtualKenneth
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Check this: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101251...

The article tells to use rpm -qa | grep -i vmware to see the differtent build versions of the components.

In my case I indeed see that for example the kernel is the latest build vmware-esx-vmkernel64-4.0.0-0.7.193498 while other components aren't updated

0 Kudos
goyer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On the patch download page, the last build number is 193498. I guess we have to wait for a next build of vSphere Client or Server....

Or maybe the build number showed in vSphere client is based only on one of the line of rpm -qa | grep -i vmware

0 Kudos
Saju_C
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

Please refer the following KB

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101251...

The build number at server console is the version of the Vmware Kernel

The build number which you see at vSphere Client is the hostagent version number

So after installing the latest patches your server console would show 193498, vSphere Client would show 175625. If you have installed patches released on 08/06, then the console would show 181792 and vSphere client would show 175625.

Thanks

CS

0 Kudos