VMware Cloud Community
vittimac85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Backup vds config without vcenter

Hello,

My vcenter over the weekend has died and I need to pull the VDS configs off of the old vcenter so I can start migrating to a new vcenter.

Is there a way to do this without using vcenter? I would have done a backup but the vpxd services keeps failing to start and i cant access vcenter without it

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Is there a way to do this without using vcenter?

Not to my knowledge.

0 Kudos
vittimac85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I figured. Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there a way to look at the VDS Port Group settings in the Shell of an ESXi? Just so when I create the new portgroups I can use it as a template.

0 Kudos
ParminderS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Use the following command to see portgroups assigned to VMs on tge esxi:

esxcfg-vswitch -l

Once you have the list, save it on notepad.

Now, run the following command to check vlan against each port group you noted in the notepad.

net-dvs -l | less

to search each portgroups vlan use

/port 'portnumber'

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

You can run the following ESXCLI command just for seeing what's the current configuration on existing vSphere Distributed Switches, not to change or modify them or any related dvportgroups:

esxcli network vswitch dvs vmware list

But for disaster recovery porposes in situation like that you are in, it's recommended to use ephemeral port binding (at least for management vmkernel ports and also vcenter server's vNIC connection), so you can change the port settings directly via the ESXi host during the vCenter server outage/downtime. For more information you can read this kb1022312

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos