VMware Cloud Community
njd62495
Contributor
Contributor

Backing up files fails

I'm running into an issue where I cant back up the following files on my vCenter server:

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.

I'm using CommVault to back up the server.

Has anyone else ever run into this problem, and if so how did you correct it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
WokBoy
Contributor
Contributor

I've just encountered the exact issue with Backup Exec 12.5, all updates applied.

Working on it, looks like it's a vSphere-only thing at this moment.

0 Kudos
kinder83
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. Someone knows how to solve it?

0 Kudos
ylevadoux
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem when backing up the following files

..\VMware\Infrastucture\VirtualCenter Server\VMwareVCMSDS\temp.edb

..\VMware\Infrastucture\VirtualCenter Server\VMwareVCMSDS\edb.log

This files are in use with dsamain.exe (VMwareVCMSDS Service)

..\VMware\Infrastucture\tomcat\webapps\vws\data\xhiveDatabase.bootstrap

This file is used by tomcat6.exe(VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices Services)

Do we need to backup this files ? or can we exclude them from backup job ?

I'm using TSM5.5 as backup tool, on a Windows Ser ver 2003 Enterprise Edition x64.

My vCenter Server is v4.0.0 Build 208111

0 Kudos
kinder83
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know if this files is necessary but I prefer to bachup all the files.

Now my job backup all the files. The only thing that I made is restart the server and also the san.

I don't understood the real problem on these files....

0 Kudos
Thomas_durand
Contributor
Contributor

In fact, my customer is using TSM for its backup, with no option available. I cannot use an open file module or something like that (that would be too easy Smiley Wink )

So, when I ran my first backup, I get a failed bakcup because of this 3 files.

I have 2 different solution, depending if this files are needed or not

1) thoses files are not needed in case of restore => I exclude them from backup (editing the dsm.opt file)

2) thoses files are really needed in case of restore => I stop the services before running backup

I think your suggestion would be to backup them. Am i wrong ?

0 Kudos
kinder83
Contributor
Contributor

I suggest you to backup all. If you can, stop the service. I think it's better...

0 Kudos
ylevadoux
Contributor
Contributor

I will stop both services, "VMwareVCMSDS" & "VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices" before running my backup.

Thanks you kinder83 Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
JasonNash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same issue here with Backup Exec 2010 R2, we don't have the advanced open file option for Backup Exec so that is not an option. We always get a message about xhiveDatabase.bootstrap being a corrupt file.

If possible I would prefer not to stop and start services in order to take a backup, does anyone know the importance of this file. Could we safely exclude from the backup?

0 Kudos
edwardm9
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if this was answered somewhere else but I couldn't find it and ended up opening a support case.  Their response follows:

xhiveDatabase.bootstrap is used by the tomcat and web management services to report and convey the performance data for the host to the VCDB. This file is one of the .bootstrap files used to convey the performance data of your VMs and host to the VC Database. It is not needed to backup this file since it does not contain any information that can cause issues if lost. If this file was ever lost you can just replace it with a new file or deleted them and when you start the web management services the file will be regenerate again by Virtual Center.c

0 Kudos
JasonNash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the update on this, we excluded this file from our backup scripts sometime back now and have not come accross any issues.

0 Kudos