VMware Cloud Community
BryanS
Contributor
Contributor

Backing up Templates with VCB

Can you backup VirtualCenter templates with VMware Consolidated Backup?

Since templates are not powered on I was wondering if it is still possible to back these machines up using VCB.

Or is the only way to back them up to first convert them to a Virtual Machine, power them on and then back them up?

thanks for your input.

Regards,

Bryan

0 Kudos
7 Replies
emmar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I know that the first time VCB backs up a VM it must be powered on but after that it'll back it up when it is powered off... i presuming the same rule of thumb will apply to a template....

Emma

BryanS
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Emma - I converted the template back to virtual machine, powered it on and backed it up successfully. I then was able to power it off and can continue to back up the machine whilst it is turned off as you suggested.

However, as soon as I convert it to a template and try and back up the machine I receive the following error message:

\[2007-06-13 16:50:49.937 'vcbMounter' 2236 error] Error: The managed object of type

"vim.VirtualMachine" identified by the MoRef "vm-0" could not be found.

And I can no longer back it up. It maybe that VCB does not support templates to be backed up. In which case I guess I will need to back it up after I make any changes and before I convert it to a template.

Any ideas?

cheers,

Bryan

0 Kudos
emmar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've not tried to backup a template (i might get a chance to have a go at this later today/tomorrow) but maybe it isnt supported because, as you say, once it is a "template" the data within it is not changing... will let you know what happens in my environment once i get a chance.

E

0 Kudos
ZMkenzie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can try 2 alternative solutions (to vcb):

1) Store the templates on a nfs export then mount or backup that nfs export using your backup software

2) Create a pre backup script on your backup software and use putty scp (with a rsa key) to copy your template before backup occurs and then remove it as vcb does with normal vm.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
BryanS
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for everyones input - at this stage I will plan on backing up the template virtual machine whenever I make changes and before I convert it to a template.

0 Kudos
Teiva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCB relies on VMware Snapshot technology and since you cannot snapshot a template, you would have to assume that you cannot use VCB to backup a virtual machine template located on a vmfs datastore. Also VCB cannot backup from NFS because it does not support the NFS storage protocol. It only supports DAS, Fibre channel and iSCSI storage protocol.

All you have left is the Backup Agent installed inside the Service Console to backup your NFS mounts. However, you will most likely need to specify in your backup policy to backup with the "traverse NFS mounts" ticked.

Hope this helps

Teiva

Teiva
0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion

Actually, Tieva, you CAN back up VMs stored on NFS using NBD or hot-add mode.....

Bryan - what you said is your best bet. Just make a backup before converting back to a template if you don't have the ability to take a snap of the LUN or want to go through the scripting.

Dave

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.

Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
0 Kudos