VMware Cloud Community
michaeltz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Automatically start vCenter and vms

Hi,

We have Windows Server 2008 R2 running vCenter 4.1 connected to hosts running ESXi 4.0 Update 1.  Everytime we reboot the server, the vmware vCenter and vmware vCenter Webservices services don't start up,  They are set to start.  Do they need to be on delayed start?  I can check the event logs to see what happens.  Is there a vmware log that I could look at?

Also, we'd like to set up our vms like the domain controller to start automatically but I can't find a way to do that.

Thank you,

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thank you, We are using SQL Express despite having 2 VMs running SQL Server 2008:-)  I will set to delayed start and see.

If that doesn't help there are some registry entries you can make

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1007669

Also, we have vSphere Essentials.  How can I tell if it's configured for High Availability and where do I see these priorities?

Essentials does not come with HA.  You can configure your startup/shutdown options for your guests by going to the configuration tab of the host--VM startup/shutdown--properties (upper right hand corner)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

SQL Express?  Either way, you may want to set both services to Automatic (delayed)

Also, we'd like to set up our vms like the domain controller to start automatically but I can't find a way to do that.

If you hosts are in an HA Cluster, the VM startup/shutdown options are disabled.  You would want to look at HA restart priorities and set your DC to High

0 Kudos
michaeltz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy,

Thank you, We are using SQL Express despite having 2 VMs running SQL Server 2008:-)  I will set to delayed start and see.

Also, we have vSphere Essentials.  How can I tell if it's configured for High Availability and where do I see these priorities?

Mike

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If that doesn't help there are some registry entries you can make

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1007669

Essentials does not come with HA.  You can configure your startup/shutdown options for your guests by going to the configuration tab of the host--VM startup/shutdown--properties (upper right hand corner)

0 Kudos
michaeltz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Whoo-hoo!  I set them to start.

I have a few more quesions:

1. Do these settings have anything with the server that's running vCenter powering off? If vCenter goes down, I would certainly want my vms to continue running.

2. Why is the startup delay so high?  By default it wants to wait 120 seconds which sounds like a long time to me considering the fact that the server takes a  long time to bott.  Is it sequential meaning that the 1st vm starts 2 minutes later, then the 2nd vm 4 minutes, 3rd 6 minutes later.  Hopefully not, but better safe than sorry.

3. What does the shutdown delay mean?  Does that mean that when I power off my host from vCenter, it'll spend 2 minutes powering off vms before the power cycling occurs.  What's the difference between Power off or Shut down Guest?   It sounds to me like "press the gas" and "accelerate"...

Sorry for all the questions but the mind wonders:-)

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. Do these settings have anything with the server that's running  vCenter powering off? If vCenter goes down, I would certainly want my  vms to continue running.

No. These settings are specific to the guest and will follow the guest.  They are also configured at the host level, not vCenter.  So, if vCenter was down the startup/shutdown options, once configured, would stick

2. Why is the startup delay so high?  By default it wants to wait 120  seconds which sounds like a long time to me considering the fact that  the server takes a  long time to bott.  Is it sequential meaning that  the 1st vm starts 2 minutes later, then the 2nd vm 4 minutes, 3rd 6  minutes later.  Hopefully not, but better safe than sorry.

The delay is so that you don't run into a boot storm. So, if you leave the default each guest will startup 120 seconds after other.

3. What does the shutdown delay mean?  Does that mean that when I power  off my host from vCenter, it'll spend 2 minutes powering off vms before  the power cycling occurs.  What's the difference between Power off or  Shut down Guest?   It sounds to me like "press the gas" and  "accelerate"..

Shutdown delay is the same as startup delay.  Assuming the Host is shutdown in a graceful fashion and you have your shutdown option set to "shutdown guest"  all guests will be gracefully shutdown.  If you have a lot of guests it may take a bit for your host to power down.  Assuming there is a hard failure, your guests will not be shutdown gracefully

0 Kudos
michaeltz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Troy,

We have 3-4 vms running on a 6 CPU server.  Waiting 120 seconds seems like overkill to me.  Certainly, if you have higher densities that's a different story.  What would you recommend I set them to?

I'll check if the ESXi hosts is set to gracefully shut down the guests.  Is that done in the same section?  Does power off gracefully shutdown the guest?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We have 3-4 vms running on a 6 CPU server.  Waiting 120 seconds seems  like overkill to me.  Certainly, if you have higher densities that's a  different story.  What would you recommend I set them to?

for oly 3 or 4 you may not even need a startup delay.  Maybe set it to 60 seconds and see how the host and datastores react.

I'll check if the ESXi hosts is set to gracefully shut down the guests.   Is that done in the same section?  Does power off gracefully shutdown  the guest?

Yes, it's configured in the same section. Power off is like pulling the power cord of a server.

Message was edited by: Troy Clavell - fixed some typos

0 Kudos
michaeltz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy,

This has been enlightening and I am glad I asked the question on this forum.  Hopefully, other less knowledgeable folks like me have also learned by reading your answers.

I'll set the delay to 60 seconds and I will Shut Down our guest vms with a 60 second delay as that's obviously very different from powering off.

Thank you,

Mike

0 Kudos