VMware Cloud Community
marvinthebassma
Contributor
Contributor

Automatic host reconnection problem

Hi guys,

ESX 3.0.1 / VC 2.0.1

sometimes hosts get disconnected to the vcenter.

At our site they will not reconnect automatically.

Following the documentation there should be a setting in vi client under "Administration" -> "Server settings" called "Connection options" -> "Host reconnect threshold" but this entry does not appear in my vi client.

Instead I see under "Administration" -> "Virtual Center Management Server Configuration" -> "Timeout Settings" -> "Client Timeout Settings"

but no reconnect parameter.

Can someone explain this please ?

VI 2.0.1 Build 32042

Thankyou

Martin

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bretti
Expert
Expert

Sometimes a few of our hosts become disconnected, usually related to WAN connection issues. They don't seem to re-connect very easily. In some cases I have to right click on the host and choose disconnect even though they show as disconnected. Then after that task finishes, right click again and select re-connect.

I'm not sure where the options you are talking about are. Are you connecting directly to the host with the VI client or connecting to Virtual Center?

0 Kudos
radhika1780
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would like to know whether host are in "not responding" state, or they get disconnected by itself. If they are in "not responding" state, kindly reight click on the host and select "disconnect" option, and wait for host to get disconnected. Then again right click, and select "connect" option to connect the host.

0 Kudos
radhika1780
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Marvin,

There is no such option as you have specified in server setting, to automatically reconnect host.

Client settings timeout is different compared to host disconnect option.

I would like to know which document you are following to do settings in server?

0 Kudos
gdillenbeck
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue with one host continually disconnecting. I found the same document (VI3 Basic System Administration -- 104 ) on page 106.

Step. 3 Enter a value in minutes in the Host Reconnect Threshold box.

I've tried replacing NIC's, exchanging network cables from a working host, etc...

G

0 Kudos
radhika1780
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If the host is getting disconnected continously, kindly restart services in ESX hosts.

Eg: kill

The new process will start immediately after killing the process. Then re-connect the host and check if the problem is solved.

0 Kudos