VMware Cloud Community
kevin79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Auto starting VM's

I have a potentially stupid and easy question... I just setup VC for my two ESX hosts. I'm in the process of configuring HA and DRS as well. On the off chance that both ESX boxes shut down at the same time (power failure), how do I set it up so that VC will automatically start my VM's? Can I set them up to start in a specific order?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
merse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hmmm, not sure why - it is visible whether my VIC is connected to VirtualCenter or direct to an ESX host...

You have one of the hosts selected in the left hand pane? The configuration is split into two sections; Hardware and Software - Virtual Machine Startup / Shutdown is third in the list under software...

Yes you need to specify the order on the host that the VM is currently running on.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
merse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Have a look at the host configuration tab in the VIC, there is a Virtual Machine Startup / Shutdown link to do just what you need.

0 Kudos
kevin79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't see that option... Is it done via each ESX host, so I need to specify what VM starts on each host?

0 Kudos
merse
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hmmm, not sure why - it is visible whether my VIC is connected to VirtualCenter or direct to an ESX host...

You have one of the hosts selected in the left hand pane? The configuration is split into two sections; Hardware and Software - Virtual Machine Startup / Shutdown is third in the list under software...

Yes you need to specify the order on the host that the VM is currently running on.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you are using ESX 3.0.1 and are planning on setting the auto start options please make sure you install the patch below. If this patch is not installed and you restart the VMware management service it could reboot your VM's.

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/esx-7557441-patch.html

kevin79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. So it is just like if you didn't have VC.

0 Kudos