VMware Cloud Community
peetz
Leadership
Leadership

Anyone upgraded to VC 2.0.2?

Hi,

since yesterday VirtualCenter 2.0.2 is available (s. Release Notes[/url]).

Anyone upgraded already? Any problems? Will the performance data and the custom attributes be preserved?

\- Andreas

Twitter: @VFrontDe, @ESXiPatches | https://esxi-patches.v-front.de | https://vibsdepot.v-front.de
0 Kudos
130 Replies
ffalcone
Contributor
Contributor

Just upgraded to 2.0.2 from 2.0.1

Followed all instructions in the release notes, and

made sure the /tmp/vmware-root directory existed.

I have an environment will all 3.0.1 hosts patched to

the latest patches as of July, and DRS / HA enabled.

The upgrade went smoothy, and HA etc reconfigured

itself without issue.

The cluster seems to be running as per normal.

All of my custom attributes and performance data were

preserved, and my chargeback reports are still

working too!

Did you disable HA prior to the upgrade? Did you mess with the DRS configs?

0 Kudos
raoulst
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

after the upgrade from 2.0.1 patch2 to VC 2.0.2 the status indicator does not work anymore for a lot of VMs. Any Idea how to fix this?

Also the Virtual Center Service somehow froze for the first time in about 8 months so that I had to manually restart the service, but that might have been just a coincidence.

Raoulst

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Well I needed to disconnect, connect and exit "maintenance mode" (although the icons didn't show it) all esx hosts - that helped by me.

0 Kudos
raoulst
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a SR and have been told to simply

\# service mgmt-vmware restart

\# service vmware-vpxa restart

(and wait a little)

which worked for me

Raoulst

0 Kudos
cshaffer
Contributor
Contributor

I upgraded yesterday as well and the only problem I ran into was I was to low on space on my C partition. It looks like some of the install components use the temp/tmp environment setting (which I had reassigned to D) while others go to my documents and settings temp folder. As noted in the release notes this fixed the uptime indicator. It also made converter work again with ESX 2.5 via VC. No other problems yet.

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

upgraded my W2K3 SP2 server to VC 2.0.2 and SQL 2005 SP2 today with no issues.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
ffalcone
Contributor
Contributor

upgraded my W2K3 SP2 server to VC 2.0.2 and SQL 2005

SP2 today with no issues.

I'm curious...did you already have VC running with SQL 2005?

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

yes. before the upgrade i had VC 2.0.1 with local SQL Server 2005 SP1 Std Edition running on W2K3 SP2.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
zenariga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I updated and I dont have any problem.

0 Kudos
spex
Expert
Expert

Upgraded today without any problems. (First disabled HA)

Didn't see any obvious improvements. Speed is still the same.

Regards Spex

0 Kudos
Freitag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did anyone upgraded with HA enebled and it worked?

0 Kudos
bowulf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I upgraded as well today. I disabled HA and had to add a number of the /tmp/vmware-root directories. The upgrade went without fault on 21 of the 22 hosts. The final host went disconnected immediately, but had its vpxa upgraded anyway as reported by rpm. I reconnected and reenabled HA.

On the negative, no performance increase on perfomance data.

0 Kudos
MikeAT
Contributor
Contributor

Ist there an update for the License server included as well? Because the installer ask if he should install the license server or use an existing one.

Michael

0 Kudos
peetz
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, the license server was also updated with VC 2.0.2.

You can check its version (without installing it) by looking at the properties of the file \bin\VMware-Licenseserver.exe on the installation CDROM. In the version tab, the "Product version" value will show the same version/build number as the VC server and client that come with 2.0.2: 2.0.2.50618.

\- Andreas

Twitter: @VFrontDe, @ESXiPatches | https://esxi-patches.v-front.de | https://vibsdepot.v-front.de
0 Kudos
lazyllama
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgraded to 2.0.2 last night. Of the 23 hosts all upgraded their VC Agents fine, eventually.

Non-HA hosts were no problem at all.

The 7 HA hosts weren't as much trouble as the last VC update.

In VC, some showed that the agent upgrade "failed" and they then went disconnected, but leaving them a few minutes to allow the agent to start and go through it's initialisation before doing a "Reconnect" worked fine.

Some HA Agents then showed an error, but starting a "Configure for HA" sorted each of those out.

I was pleasantly surprised as I've had some nightmares with HA agent errors, resulting in two cluster rebuilds. (Not something you want when you have 170 VMs that need to be moved to a new cluster!)

0 Kudos
The-Kevster
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem, upgraded with HA enabled and had to change my hostname from CAPS to LOWERCASE.

All working fine now and reconfigured HA after change to make sure Smiley Happy

Changed the values using nano /etc/hosts and then through VI, Configuration, DNS.

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
kjm
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

You basically want to:

Create new database

Stop VCMS services

copy all VPX* objects from master to new database

update the ODBC DNS to point to the new database

Start VCMS services

OK - some confusion here....When you refer to 'master' are you referring to an MS-SQL 7.0 'master' db? Or is your 'master' really the original 'VCDB' instance?

I am NOT an MSSQL DBA and I'm not that familir with T-SQL...

Kim

0 Kudos
AndrewJarvis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just did mine - Vc2.0.1 >2.0.2. Worked fine - one 3.0.1 host needed reconnecting but was fine - HA and DRS upgraded OK. I migrated VC DB from SQL 2000 to 2005 just before so there was a little wariness....but the 2005 move was easy. 3.0.3 here we come

0 Kudos
Virtual_Scott
Contributor
Contributor

I have just tried to upgrade from VC 2.0.1 to 2.0.2. But now when I go into my VI client the Cluster and both ESX 3.0.1 servers have red triangles. The errors that come when trying to configure HA are: "An error occurred during configuration of the HA Agent on the host." Also in the cluster summary tab I have, "Configuration Issues - Unable to contact primary HA agent in cluster." Anyone have any ideas. I already disabled and reenabled HA. I also ran

\# service mgmt-vmware restart

\# service vmware-vpxa restart

but that hasn't work yet.

I figured it out. I went in and edited the /etc/hosts file on both the ESX servers. The FQDN was upper case and it is not uppercase in VC so I change it to lower case. I was then able to reenable HA and all is better.

Message was edited by:

Virtual Scott

0 Kudos
sTyLeR_1
Contributor
Contributor

Tnx for your script John Gibson. That was the issue and it saved me a lot of time!!!

Thumbs up!

0 Kudos