VMware Cloud Community
ian4563
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone notice this annoying VC 2.5 bug?

Since upgrading to 2.5, often when I select a VM, click the "performance" tab, then select "Change chart options", only the "Real-time" performance stat is available. If I select another VM then go back to the original, the rest of the performance stats are there. Sometimes it takes several tries to get them to show up. Ayone else seeing this problem?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
christianZ
Champion
Champion

What db are you using?

0 Kudos
ian4563
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SQL 2005 with latest service pack.

After trying a few times it come up like it should as show in the screen cap.

0 Kudos
rpmello
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same exact issue with my 3.0.2 hosts. However, I have 1 host that is running 3.5 and it does not have the issue. I am able to select any time period for performance on that host.

akmolloy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having the same problem as the OP. Running SQL Express 2005 and VC 2.5 with all 3.5 hosts. Switching to another VM and then back again works sometimes. Is there an official way to file bug reports, or does VMware read the forums?

0 Kudos
GBromage
Expert
Expert

VMWare staff to read and participate in the forums, but not every post. If one of them reads this, they'll probably note it down.

If you have a maintenance agreement, best way to report it is by opening a support incident about it.

-

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!

I hope this information helps you. If it does, please consider awarding points with the 'Helpful' or 'Correct' buttons. If it doesn't help you, please ask for clarification!
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I've flagged this thread so VMware staff are more likely to see it. As Greg mentions if you have a support contract it would be a good idea to log a support call.

sradnidge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yeh as I said in the other thread, i think it's related to the SQL Agent jobs not running or not being created in the first place. Can you chk that out and post back if you have anything? there should be 3 jobs, daily stats rollup, weekly and monthly.

0 Kudos
sradnidge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

akmolloy - you'll def see this prob with SQL 2005 Express as it doesn't have the SQL Agent at all.

Cheers

0 Kudos
akmolloy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi sradnidge - This is more of a bug than a SQL Express problem. I eventually get the daily/weekly/monthly stats to show, I just have to deselect and reselect the VM to get it to show up.

-Tony

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

SQL Express should not be used, you should be using SQL Standard/Enterprise. As the other posted, it's an agent problem, which isn't supported by SQL Express. The documentation clearly explains that the agent MUST be used, therefore we can conclude that SQL Express is not supported.

0 Kudos
ian4563
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree akmolloy, it definitely looks like a bug. I have SQL 2005 and the rollup jobs are there and show no errors in the job history. Besides, If you click between a few VM's and go back, the full stats are usually there so it's not a problem of missing data.

0 Kudos
akmolloy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Rparker,

To quote from the current manual:

"NOTE Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express is intended to be used for small deployments

of up to 5 hosts and 50 virtual machines."

http://vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_installation_guide.pdf

They actually mention it 5 different times in those exact words on pages 14, 19, 66, 71, and 74.

If what you're saying is true, then they need to update the manual so that people don't use Express anymore.

-Tony

0 Kudos
Badsah
Expert
Expert

I have contacted the appropriate PM. Waiting for a response. I also notified him about Beware of SQL Express & undocumented loss of some important features in Virtual Center, confirmed b... .

Thanks.

Badsah

"VMW - The Ultimate Virtual Machine"

VMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVM

Badsah Mukherji | Senior Community Manager | VMware Communities |

VMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVMVM

--- Badsah Mukherji VMware Web Communities Team
0 Kudos
ksram
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The feature loss ha nothing to do with the choice of the database being used.

The root cause is that the database upgrade is not compelte.

A

possible workaround for the issue (without installing a fresh database)

is here. Down side is that you will loose any exisitng perormance data.

#Truncate the table VPX_HIST_STAT1

#Execute

all the sql commands (one by one) in the script

cleanup_upgrade_mssql.sql on the VC database. (Default location

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter

Server\dbupgrade\Upgrade-v3-to-v4\T-SQL)

You should be able to get the performance statistics working again.

Absence of the SQL Server Agent is covered by VirtualCenter manually initiating therollup.

0 Kudos
BasisBoy
Contributor
Contributor

Just came across this problem as well using an Oracle DB. I had thought it was a problem with the VMware tools due to the fact that the VMs with the old tools worked just fine, but the new tools displayed this problem.

I seem to have fixed it for now by changing the Statistics settings under Administration>>VirtualCenter Management Server Configuration. The Statistics Level is now set to 2 for all Interval Durations.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos