VMware Cloud Community
policeman51
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone got EMC Storage Viewer to work?

Hi,

I'm having trouble with the EMC Storage Viewer plugin.

Not really with the plugin, but with the EMC Solutions Enabler. I installed the Enabler on the vCenter server and a server connected to the SAN, like it said in the directions. I can't see the SAN information.

When I use the IP test connection it says "Failed: The remote connection is refused. The server may not be running." I'm sure the Enabler server is running. I have version 6.5.3 of the Enabler installed now, I had 7.0 installed, I thought that would fix it, but it didn't. I'm also running version 1.1 of the Storage Viewer.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
bladeraptor
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

I am writing this as an EMC employee.

Firstly what storage array are you running this against - Symmetrix or CLARiiON?

The process is a bit involved but basically as you seem to have already done - you need to install effectively a gatekeeper solutions enabler server - i.e a VM or physical server that has access to the storage array you wish to monitor. If a VM you need a physical mode RDM LUN mapped and if a physical server a gatekeeper LUN mapped up from the storage

You then need to install a solutions enabler base license to allow you to discover and report on the storage as documented in the plug-in guide. This can be obtained for free from PowerLink

Running the Solutions enabler CLI commands (as indicated i nthe set up guide) you need to confirm that the Solutions Enabler instance can see the storage.

Once this has been configured and verified you should be able to see and map the storage through the EMC storage viewer

Regards

Alex Tanner

0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

Also see this thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/203208

Mike

0 Kudos
policeman51
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,we have aClariion CX3-40. Will the storage viewer andand solutions enabler work with that unit?

I think I'm missing the "install a solutions enabler base license" piece. I have the Solutions Enabler installed on a seperate server that is connected to the SAN.

I just looked on the powerlink site, but there's a lot to be said about the layout of that site, do you know were I can get that free licence?

0 Kudos
bladeraptor
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

The following link should work

If not, you are looking for "[EMC Solutions Enabler Base License Key Card|http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Legacy_Conversion/PL_Support/Doc_Library/054-000-068a.pdf?mtcs=ZXZlbnRUeXBlPUttQ2xpY2tTZWFyY2hSZXN1bHRzRXZlbnQsZG9jdW1lbnRJZD0wOTAxNDA2NjgwMDQyYzUzLGRhdGFTb3VyY2U9RENUTV9lbl9VU18w]" - that exact search term should return the correct result

Regards

Alex Tanner

0 Kudos
philzy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Be careful it doesn't work with x64 workstations or servers like windows server 2008.

They didn't mention it in manuals.

And also there is a bug in manual on page 9. Use -user, not -username.

Also Enabler works pretty fine with ESX 4.0.0 host and CX3-40

But, as I see it is mostly solution fo LUN watching, you even can't copy the name of LUN.

It's a kind of LUN-viewer in Vcenter.

May be somebody knows other solution?

0 Kudos
LeeTheMC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I stumbled across this posting while working with the EMC Storage Viewer, and I wanted to clarify a few points based on latest information.

First, the latest release of the EMC Storage Viewer, which is version 2.0, supports all platforms that are supported by the VMware vSphere Client, including Windows x64 hosts and Windows Server 2008 hosts. For Windows x64 hosts, all software installed (including Solutions Enabler) should be x86 versions, which will then run in 'compatibility' mode. This is exactly what the vSphere Client itself does.

Second, the instructions which were previously on page 9 (and are now on page 😎 in the Release Notes are accurate. The command to add authorization for access to a given CLARiiON storage array uses the '-username' option. It is possible to shorten it and use the '-user' option instead, but both will complete with the same result.

0 Kudos
adamy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have all the components installed, but when I try to connect to a remove Solutions Enabler Server I get this:

error = Unable to load DLL 'SEWrapper.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E). in the vCenter Client.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
adamy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Got this from powerlink.

This may help some of you if this happens to you:

Environment: OS: Microsoft Windows 2003 x64

Environment: OS: VMWare vSphere ESX 4.0

Environment: EMC SW: EMC Storage Viewer for vSphere Client 2.0

Environment: Application SW: VMWare vSphere Client 4.0

Environment: EMC SW: Solutions Enabler 7.0

Problem: Attempting to configure and test the connection for EMC Storage Viewer for vSphere Client 2.0 and getting the following error message: "Failed: Unable to load DLL 'SEWrapper.dll': The specified module could not be found."

Root Cause: Solutions Enabler x64 version was loaded on the Windows host where the vSphere Client and EMC Storage Viewer for vSphere Client 2.0 reside. According to the EMC Storage Viewer for vSphere Client 2.0 Release Notes, only Windows x386 OS is supported.

Fix: The workaround on an x64 bit Windows host is to uninstall the x64 bit version of Solutions Enabler and load the x86 (32bit) version of Solutions Enabler.

Notes: The file SEWrapper.dll is present on the Windows host in the correct folder: "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\Plugins\EMCStorageViewer"

Notes: Solutions Enabler was installed correctly on the Windows host that uses the VMWare vSphere client and configured correctly.

0 Kudos