VMware Cloud Community
kpcongdon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any harm in disabling the VSAN Health Service?

Since updating to vCenter / vSphere 6 update 2, I'm starting to see a steady stream of VSAN Health tasks being logged in vcenter.  However, I'm not using or even licensed for VSAN so I'm a little stumped.  .  The events being logged every few seconds are:

Retrieve a ticket to register the Virtual SAN VASA Provider

and

Update option values

If I stop the VSan Health Monitoring Service, these events stop. 

My question is, if I'm not actually using VSAN, is there any harm in disabling the Health Monitor service?  I'm assuming no, but would like to get confirmation

8 Replies
UHViTeam
Contributor
Contributor

we have the same issue sicne we went to vcenter  6.0 U2  and stopping the service does stop the scans but not sure if that is the right solution.

any updates?

0 Kudos
VentziP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are on the same situation after 6.0 U2. No VSAN usage or license to use it. Is it the right way to disable this service?

0 Kudos
Commens
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

anyone know a fix or any information on this?

Nevermind, found this

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21453...

dnchance
Contributor
Contributor

That's just syaing its safe to ignore it if you are running vSAN.  I think for those of us not running vSAN we would rather know if its ok to just kill that service so we aren't getting our recent task lists bombarded with the useless information.

0 Kudos
fgiroux83
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you are not using VSAN, please disable the service as some issues have been discovered if the service remains enabled.

Fred

0 Kudos
Dbbs2012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

fgiroux83

What other issues could stem for leaving this on? I am seeing numerous checks every 20-30 minutes in our environment. Since then, i've noticed some weird issues going on with our Non-Persistent VMs...not sure if it's related or not.

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
fgiroux83
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Dbbs2012

Hello Dbbs2012,

If you are not using VSAN, disabling the service should not have any detrimental effect. BTW, our KB article has been updated to reflect this:

vCenter Server 6.0 Update 2 displays on non-vSAN enabled ESXi hosts displays the message: Retrieve a ticket to register the vSAN VASA Provider (2145308) | VMware KB

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2145308

The KB does not mention what could happen while leaving the service running when having the error message spew. We have a separate KB for that:

Platform Services Controller 6.0 deployment takes several hours (2147428) | VMware KB

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2147428

This is fixed is 6.0U3 recently released. If you install U3, you are safe and do not have to stop the VSAN Health Service.

In conclusion, I doubt very much the issues you are seeing would be related to stopping the VSAN Health Service. If needed, please open a Support Request with VMware Support and we will gladly take a deeper look.

Have a nice day!

Fred Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Stanley_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I can confirm that if you dont have VSAN enabled Cluster and dont use VSAN in this vCenter you can stop and disable the service. Just follow VMware KB 2145308 mentioned above.

We already did it in our production environment (several vCenters) and have no issues.

Best regards

Stan

0 Kudos