VMware Cloud Community
dales123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any field comments on vCSA yet

HI all,

I'm about to deploy ess plus in my company (they dont have any vmware stuff yet which is part of the reason they took me on). set up is 2x vnxe 3100's 3x dl360's 192GB ram dual xeons etc (kinda standard max affair for ess plus).

Now I've got the licencing for vsphere5 and was wondering if anyone has any comments the the vCenter appliance yet. I have a windows licence as well but am considering deploying the vCSA instead. I know of its published limitations but am wondering if anyone has any real world experience of it so far.

Are we likely to see things like pass through creds on the vi client resolved, will the vCSA keep itself uptodate (presumabily through update manager) any problems or "features" that have come up.

I'm quite liking the idea of the vCSA as its one less product to patch/AV etc but as its new its kind of an unknown quantity to me at the moment (I'm currently downloading a trial to have a play anyway).

Regards

Dale

Kind Regards Dale VCP3+5
0 Kudos
2 Replies
spolz
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I haven't figured out yet how to set up a split network configuration. That is one NIC facing towards the ESXi management network and the other one to the LAN. Maybe I am wrong but that seems to be a limitation right now, one NIC that is.

Simon

dales123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok thanks for the information, the lack of replies possibly suggests that there are not many if any field issues using the vCSA but then it may suggest that people prefer to install vCenter using the traditional Windows method.

Perhaps I should rephrase my question to something like "For those of you that have already deployed vSphere5 are you using windows or the vCSA for management, if you are using the vCSA have you come across any undocumented "features" within the vCSA that you would not expect to get from deploying vCenter on Windows?

Kind Regards Dale VCP3+5
0 Kudos