VMware Cloud Community
GetDanOnIt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Am I overkilling?

Hi all,

I am about to move our currently hosted systems to a new data centre. I am currently pricing up everything and getting rather confused with no thanks to Dell.

I will be installing 2 servers for vpshere, and 1 storage server. I plan to keep the vms on the storage and take adavantage of vmotion and HA to cover my ****. Do I need a vcenter license as well or can I manage my vpshere environment just fine without this? What extras can I expect from vcenter? If i do need it how many licenses will I need?

Please clarify as Dell are clearly trying to sell me more then I need.

Thank you

Dan

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

At present Dell are trying to sell me 2x vpshere Advanced licenses and 2x vcenter standard licenses which doesn't really make sense.

That really doesn't make much sense. Even if you would go with the Advanced licenses (which are good for CPUs with up to 12 cores) you wouldn't need 2 vCenter Server licenses. In this case you could go with the vCenter Server Foundation (good for up to 3 hosts) and upgrade to Standard as your environment grows.

I take it if I surpass the total number of procs then I will need to purchase a fuller package so to speak? Is there an upgrade option available?

No. That's a limitation of The Essential packages. The only upgrade possible is from Essentials to Essentials Plus.

André

If this answers your question, please set the thread to Answered and mark correct and/or helpful answers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From what I understand the "Essentials Plus" version may be a good solution for you. With vShpere 4.1, VMware added vMotion to this edition. It includes 1 vCenter Essentials Server and 6 Essential Plus CPU licenses for up to 3 2-socket hosts.

For vMotion and HA you definitely need vCenter.

see http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf

Another advantage of vCenter is a better integration for e.g. backup products. Essentials Plus even includes "VMware Data Recovery"

André

GetDanOnIt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre, just what I needed. At present Dell are trying to sell me 2x vpshere Advanced licenses and 2x vcenter standard licenses which doesn't really make sense. I do expect our infrastructure to grow but not for a few years. I only have 2 processors in total at present so Essential Plus should do the job.

I take it if I surpass the total number of procs then I will need to purchase a fuller package so to speak? Is there an upgrade option available?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

At present Dell are trying to sell me 2x vpshere Advanced licenses and 2x vcenter standard licenses which doesn't really make sense.

That really doesn't make much sense. Even if you would go with the Advanced licenses (which are good for CPUs with up to 12 cores) you wouldn't need 2 vCenter Server licenses. In this case you could go with the vCenter Server Foundation (good for up to 3 hosts) and upgrade to Standard as your environment grows.

No. That's a limitation of The Essential packages. The only upgrade possible is from Essentials to Essentials Plus.

André

If this answers your question, please set the thread to Answered and mark correct and/or helpful answers.

0 Kudos
GetDanOnIt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre.

I think I might go with the advanced vsphere and then choose the vcenter foundation with just the 1 license of that so I have the upgrade option available at a later date.

it has been clear from the beginning that Dell didn't really have a clue and this is twice they have doubled up the licenses I need.

Many thanks for your help. A little less confused now.

0 Kudos