VMware Cloud Community
rgv75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Alert when a VM Migrates

I created an alert in vCenter that is applicable to a VM with the trigger setting to be "VM Migrated".  I basically want to track when VMs migrate, either initiated by a user or DRS.  The alert I created doesn't seem to work.  Has anyone else been able to create an alert that would send out an email when a VM migrated?  Thanks.    

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have applied Update 1 to my vCenter.    My build is 4.1 build 345043.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I setup an Alarm using Virtual Machine monitor, monitor for specific events, and a event of VM is hot migrating.  I manually moved a VM to another host and it sent the email right away. 

0 Kudos
rgv75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.  I deleted my alert and created a new one using the "VM is hot migrating" as you suggested.  I used the status of "Normal" and I also used the status of "Alert", and it still does NOT work for me when I migrated a VM manually.  It's not an email issue because I watched the VM's Alert tab for triggered alarms, and that alarm did not show up in the vSphere Client.  In the Triggers tab, what Status did you pick?  In the Actions tab, what did you set for eaach of the actions?  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My trigger is set for a status of alert and then for actions I have send a notification email. 

0 Kudos
rgv75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do you have the action set to occur "Once" or "Repeat"?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Mine was set to once from warning to alert.  I didn't change it so that had to be the default when creating the alarm.   I also had DRS move some VMs around and I was notified for that too.

0 Kudos
rgv75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I appreciate your responses.  Last question, what vCenter version are you running? I'm running vCenter 4.1 (not U1).

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have applied Update 1 to my vCenter.    My build is 4.1 build 345043.

0 Kudos
rgv75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I granted you the correct answer.  The trick is to upgrade to U1. I have a lab running 4.1 U1 and I tested it there and true enough it works.  In my production environment (v4.1 not U1), it still doesn't work.  Thanks for all your help!!!

0 Kudos