VMware Cloud Community
Subversive
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Alarms will not clear in VC

Hi, last night I had an alarm for CPU usage over 90% on one of my hosts. It's long since returned to normal, over 14 hours ago, but the alarm is still there in VC. I can't seem to find a way to get rid of it. It's not there when I log into the host directly using VI client. Can anyone make a suggestion on how I can clear this alarm? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cygnar8180
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Try going to the definition of this alert, open it, change nothing, an click ok. You should see something like "reconfiguring alert" in the task list. Shortly after the alert should dissapear.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
cygnar8180
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Try going to the definition of this alert, open it, change nothing, an click ok. You should see something like "reconfiguring alert" in the task list. Shortly after the alert should dissapear.

0 Kudos
Subversive
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, this worked.

0 Kudos
cryptonym
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Only a quick fix, not permanent. The sticky alarms will come back. Seems to still be a problem in VC 2.5 also.

0 Kudos
jaygriffin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Has VMware confirmed if this is a bug? Is there a setting that says how long they alarms should remain flagged?

0 Kudos
JDPJr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm seeing some different behavior out of the alarms since the VC2.5 upgrade last week. They seem to fluctuate more than before. Either VC2.5 is way more responsive and accurate, while VC2.x wasn't reading as well. My hosts CPU utilization seems to be all over the place now, whereas before they were much more steady - which you would figure if DRS is fully automated and the loads are much more balanced. We haven't upgraded our hosts to ESX3.5 yet, so I'm hoping some of these things will iron out after we upgrade this week.

I've been clearing alarms by restarting the VC agent service on the host - service vmware-vpxa restart. That seems to have helped some.

0 Kudos
DWilga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue with ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5. Both techniques described above worked for me, but this sure seems like a real bug

0 Kudos
nven250
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

worked for me to, had to edit the defintion at the datacenter level

0 Kudos