VMware Cloud Community
eric_heilig
Contributor
Contributor

Alarm <alarmName> on <host> failed to run script: A general system error...

I'm trying to tie some custom scripting to VC generated alarms. Unfortunately, I cannot troubleshoot the issue as the logged event is vague and nothing seems to be logged otherwise.

It should be noted that this is a perl script that runs perfectly well from the command-line.

The full error message is:

Alarm failed to run script: A general system error occured: failed to run script

Any insight offered would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Eric Heilig

0 Kudos
2 Replies
eric_heilig
Contributor
Contributor

It seems that VirtualCenter does not know where to find the Perl interpreter. For whatever reason, no matter how simple the script, VC fails to execute properly.

The work-around that I have come up with is to use an intermediary windows batch file. I use VC to call the batch file with the appropriate variables and then pass them to my actual Perl script.

The solution is a bit convoluted but will work until I can get something more out of VMware Support or my SE.

--Eric

0 Kudos
eric_heilig
Contributor
Contributor

In case anyone is concerned, it should be noted that all pertinent path statements and environment variables are the same between the command prompt and the forked environment of VirtualCenter.

--Eric

0 Kudos