VMware Cloud Community
Andy90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Alarm for esxi-host disk latency

I would like to configure a new alarm to monitor the disk latency of all esx-hosts in our vCenter.

We found the settings, to configure this point for an virtual machine.

[vCenter Alarm --> Add new alarm for a VM --> Trigger Type: VM Max Total Disk latency (ms)]

So we need the same alarm, but for the esx-hosts. But I can't find the right Trigger type neighter the right events (for which we can configure an alarm).

The problem we have is that sometimes the Battery of the Raid-controller is defected and then we notice it while checking the performance chart of the esx-disks:

disk_latency_performance.jpg

We need an alarm for exactly this measurement: Highest Disk latency (in ms).

I also searched for configuring an alarm at the according datastore, but without any success.

Maybe someone has any idea how to configure such a alarm.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
illvilja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi!

There isn't any support for it in vSphere Client nor vCenter. You can use esxtop to find out but it's alot of work to get some sort of alarm functionality.

A VMware product for this is vCenter Operations, but it might be too much depending on your environment.

There's alot of 3rd party products that will do this for you. vKernel vOPS (formerly known as vFoglight and I think Veeam One will do this for you.

--- Martin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
illvilja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi!

There isn't any support for it in vSphere Client nor vCenter. You can use esxtop to find out but it's alot of work to get some sort of alarm functionality.

A VMware product for this is vCenter Operations, but it might be too much depending on your environment.

There's alot of 3rd party products that will do this for you. vKernel vOPS (formerly known as vFoglight and I think Veeam One will do this for you.

--- Martin

0 Kudos
Andy90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, your are right.

At the moment, we are looking for a monitor tool like vOPs or Veeam One

Thanks!

0 Kudos