VMware Cloud Community
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

Air Gap Update Manager - fails scan with Update Manager failed message

On isolated network - have followed the steps in the Update Manager Admin guide to export updates from server on Internet, copy to removable media, transfer to air gapped network and import them into the VirtualCenter/Update Manager configuration. The repository sees all the updates I copied over.

However, when I try to scan an ESX host, I get the very unhelpful "Update Manager has failed message". Nothing else to point where the failure is located.

I tried the fixes I found online in terms of editing the xml file in the Update Manager directory with no luck.

Where do I tackle this issue?

Note - VirtualCenter and Update Manager share same Oracle 10g database instance.

Thanks.

Mike

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

Okay - additional information from the vpxa logs

vim.fault.PlatformConfigFault

dynamicType = <unset>

Test = "option - p not recognized

Error during the configuration of the host: option -p not recognized

I've looked at the the man file, help for esxupdates and at the pdf documentation and I can't find option -p or what it references or where it is being called from. I can't find any reference to esxupdate in the vci-integrity.xml file. I suspect the proxy information but I've set it for blank, with the local directory path and with the path using both FQDN and the IP address.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

More testing results.

Created fixed baseline with the patches from September/October and selected Remediate option - fails with same error in VPXA log.

0 Kudos
Allsopp
Contributor
Contributor

I spent this morning remediating my hosts. Initially there were 24 patches outstanding. The scan for updates showed no errors, but when I tried remediating it failed. A re-scan then indicated only 9 updates remaining and the remediation worked.

I would suggest trying a new scan after the failed remediation and see if there is a different number of required patches.

0 Kudos
pomiwi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

have similar issue where UM fails with same message - only happens when scanning new VMs for updates.. existing VMs work OK. Was on the phone with VMWare last night and they scanned the host for updates which in turn scanned the VM OK.. however try scanning the VM individually or the folder it is inside and it fails..

Will keep you updates on the support call progress

mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

Thanks - this error is happening for new servers that we've upgraded with 3.5 U2 downloaded August 14 (to be sure we didn't get the license expiration problem). I tried to get the 13 September/October patches installed using a fixed baseline but that failed.

I've spent the afternoon looking for option -p for esxupdate - no luck.

0 Kudos
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

No longer working issue so marking closed.

0 Kudos