VMware Cloud Community
gobigblue
Contributor
Contributor

Agent Upgrade question

Hey all, Two quick questions.

I'm upgrading an existing esx cluster to 4.1 from 3.5

I installed the DB and vm server 4.1 on another server and its ran fine but I need to know if i upgrade the agents like the install is asking me to do will it reboot my hosts??

Please see the screen shots for the option I am referring to

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

if
you update only the agents of the vmware does not need to boot, he will
just lose the connection with vCenter sooner it connects again, now if
you do the upgrade version of ESX to restart.
Is there an Agent Pre-Upgrade Check to validate compatibility.

http://ict-freak.nl/2009/11/20/vsphere-agent-pre-upgrade-check-utility/

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
gobigblue
Contributor
Contributor

So I will loose connectivity even if the Vcenter Server has the same IP as the old one and the ESX hosts I upgrade will NOT need to reboot.

Correct?

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
gobigblue
Contributor
Contributor

I dont want to update the OS on the hosts to 4.1 just the agents. I am bringing up a new Vsphere 4.1 server console and want to attach the 3.5 boxes to it.

0 Kudos