VMware Cloud Community
gburton66
Contributor
Contributor

After logging into web access can only see datacenter and nothing else!

Hi everybody,

I'm really hoping someone has come accross this issue before. I have VCenter running and can browse to its web page with no problems, from there I can also download the client and manage the vcenter with no issues. However when I login to the vCenter Web Access it shows me the Datacenter folder in the left hand pane and nothing else (I have attached a screenshot of this).

I have tried the following:

Logging in as the vCenter administrator (to rule out permission problems)

Connecting from a windows and linux box (using firefox and IE8)

Connecting to web access from the vCenter server itself (to rule out any network issues)

I have tried restarting the vCenter but it is to no avail.

I should stress that we are not using DNS in this environment yet, maybe it's somehow related to that, but im having a hard time to figure out why (please dont laugh if i've missed something obvious!)

Kind Regards

gburton66

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have you tried do it from the vCenter Host Server itself and going to htts://localhost/ui

Also, maybe restarting the Vmware VirtualCenter Management Webservices service again may help?

0 Kudos
gburton66
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried connecting from the vCenter and restarting the web services, but I still am encountering the problem.

What is strange is that vSphere client works perfectly its just the web access that is broken.

Are there any configurable settings specifically for the web access component that I might need to check?

Cheers

gburton66

0 Kudos
gburton66
Contributor
Contributor

I really need some help on resolving this please, has anybody got any more suggestions on what might be causing this strange behaviour?

Kind Regards

gburton66

-update 09/03- Just got off the phone to VMware, apparently this is a known bug with no current workaround, i'll update this post if that changes...

0 Kudos
ChicaneUK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wondering if this is the same kind of problem as one I'm experiencing also..

If I connect directly to a vSphere 4 host, I can do everything through Web Access and it works great. However - if I login to Web Access on the vCenter server, I can login, I can see my datacenter and I can see a list of VM's - however I can't do anything else. I can click on a VM but nothing happens - I don't get any info about the VM, I can't perform any administrative tasks on that VM - I'm just stuck on either the info from the datacenter view (or one of its tabs) - and that's it!

Will follow this thread with some interest as I could really do with this working - and my gut instinct tells me it might be related?

0 Kudos
curlet91
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm seeing this behavior at one environment as well. I know Web Access is experimentally supported in this release, but has anyone made any progress getting it to work?

---If you found this information helpful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful." Thank you.

Tim Curless, VCP

---If you found this information helpful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful." Thank you. Tim Curless, VCP
0 Kudos
ziolek
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same problem. When I login to the vCenter web access (as administrator), I see only 6 from 40 VM's (without permission to do anything). Restart Management Webservices don't help me.

Regards,

Tomasz Zieliński

0 Kudos
curlet91
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sounds like yours might be a diferent issue. We couldn't see any VMs

or templates when logged in as admin or any other user. The issue was

a corrupted datacenter object in the vCenter database. The solution

was to create a new datacenter with a new cluster, and migrate all

hosts and VMs to it. After that all VMs were visible under the new DC

in web access.

On Apr 1, 2010, at 3:17 AM, ziolek <communities-emailer@vmware.com

---If you found this information helpful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful." Thank you. Tim Curless, VCP
0 Kudos
ziolek
Contributor
Contributor

You're right.

But.

I see only new VM's under new host. Maybe solution is quite similar. I check this.

0 Kudos
smendoza
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issues as the OP. I'll try building a new datacenter object and migrate some of the systems there to see if the problem goes away.

I'm curious if this happened after upgrading from VirtualCenter 2.5 to vCenter 4.0.

0 Kudos
smendoza
Contributor
Contributor

After doing a lot of troubleshooting, I can recreate this problem every time. As soon as I build a Distributed Virtual Switch, the webaccess piece breaks. I don't have to add a host or a NIC to the dvSwitch for the problem to show up. As soon as I get rid of my dvSwitch, web access starts working again. It doesn't even require a restart of the service.

If anyone else can confirm this, it would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
gburton66
Contributor
Contributor

Okay guys, I've got some good news and some not so good news. I decided to call VMware today and check on the state of play re: Web access.

Support have told me that if web access is going to be fixed it wont be until update 3 (scheduled for about 6 months from now apparently). I was also told that it is more likely that web access wont be fixed at all... but before you groan there is a good reason why:

VMware are working on a new version of web access, one that will replace the current web access and... the vSphere client (yes you read that right)

0 Kudos