VMware Cloud Community
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Additional NIC / Multihoming not working

I added a second nic to my vCenter Server 8 and I can't get it to ping. Other VM's on this Port Group have no issue, just good ole Photon. This is running on CISCO UCS so from the host perspective it is using the nenic drivers.  If I tried to set an IP address from the GUI it wouldn't set. Using /opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_config_net I can set the IP, but during the reconfiguration I get an error "Network failed to restart using new paramters eth2 (Errno 2).  Google responses were this is a duplicate IP, but I'm pretty darn sure its not a duplicate IP. The only thing I that point I could think of was setting the IP address manually in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth2. That at least took and in the vCenter Server Management I now see Nic 2 as up and with the correct IP Address. But it is still not pinging/reachable from other devices on that VLAN. 

Anyone setup a second nic on vCenter Server 8.x and got it working ?

--Alan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

What's the use case of having a second NIC on vCenter?  I don't think in 2 decades I've heard of doing this.

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I like to be on the Fringe I guess !!!

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vsphere.avail.doc/GUID-B06BAC28-91D0-4CF6-B...

From what I  can understand after studying and testing it appears Photon has a bug that basically doesn't add routing information so the second nic won't work properly at the moment. My use case is I have a separate isolated backup network that I wanted vcsa to appear on.

--Alan--

0 Kudos