VMware Cloud Community
jp3457
Contributor
Contributor

Adding vCenter Server Appliance to AD

Building up a brand new VMware environment and attempting to setup the vCenter Server Appliance.  It was successfully imported into a host, it runs, I can connect to it over the network on both 5480 and 9443, but I can not get it to join my Active Directory Domain.  Using the wizard or the management page only yields an "Error.  Enabling Active Directory Failed".  Not much help there.  If I go on the console and run the command "vpxd_servicefg ad wrie username 'password' domain" it still fails, but at least it gives an error of "VC_CFG_RESULT=302(Error: Enabling Active Directory failed."

I was able to add all the hosts to AD and even a VM running Win 2K8.  I just can't get the vCenter Server Appliance to join.  I tried Googling for some solutions, but haven't come across much of anything useful.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

8 Replies
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

What version of VCVA are you using?

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You can find a video describing a way to successfully setting up the appliance at vSphere 5.1 vCenter Virtual Appliance and vSphere Web Client Video Tutorial Series and avoid issues (including connecting to the AD).

André

0 Kudos
krktech
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same error.  I had to pre-stage (manually create the computer object in AD) the VCSA hostname in AD as our default computers OU has a policy on it preventing object creation.

mkidd
Contributor
Contributor

Make sure to set the hostname on your vCenter appliance to use the same FQDN as your AD Domain Controller too.

0 Kudos
hyvokar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

I had problems with the wizard with vcsa5.1. I had to prestage the vcsa to AD and join it to domain from the shell using ssh:

/opt/likewise/bin/domainjoin-cli join your.domain.local admin@your.domain.local

hth

--kari

0 Kudos
vcp_marco
Contributor
Contributor

I think you should add ip domain name mapping record in the hots file of the SUSE Linux, like this "ip hostname.ad.com hostname", otherwise the  vpxd service can't start.

Marco

www.eumarine.com

0 Kudos
AUAdmins
Contributor
Contributor

i am having the same issue in our environment as well. I've requested the OU Computer Active Directory object be manually created to attempt proceeding. This really could be mentioned as a possible requirement in some environments in the VMware deployment guide perhaps under troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
StuDuncan
Contributor
Contributor

Make sure your AD domain isn't the short name (i.e. COMP-01\).  It needs to be the FQDN (i.e. company.com) in the vCSA:5480 interface.

0 Kudos