VMware Cloud Community
Paul_N
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding notes to VM?

I see VC2 has a column for notes, something we'd like to use. However I can't figure out how to add comments in this field.

What obvious step am I missing?

Thanks!

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kucharski
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You actually add the notes under the Summary Tab for the particular virtual machine. Once click the Summary Tab for the virtual machine, you will see a box down below called Notes.

Michael

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
kucharski
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You actually add the notes under the Summary Tab for the particular virtual machine. Once click the Summary Tab for the virtual machine, you will see a box down below called Notes.

Michael

0 Kudos
Paul_N
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Of course, couldn't be easier. So easy that it's not even in the manual.

Thanks for your help. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
vmjoe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

But there are at least two bugs with the notes:

a) The notes are not saved if you switch to another VM after adding text. I first need to switch to another tab of the same VM (performance tab for example)

b) Line breaks are displayed as squares. In the .vmx file in the annotations section they are stored as |0A (which is a ASCII 10 for UNIX-style line break). Even edited by hand to |0D|0A it is displayed as two squares.

\--

Johannes

PS: VI Client 2.0.0 Build 27704

mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

On a[/b] you can also click down in the Recent Tasks[/b] pane.

For b[/b] use shift+enter and it will put in real line breaks.

0 Kudos
vreihen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

For b[/b] use shift+enter and it will put in real

line breaks.

If any of the moderators are reading this thread, Smiley Happy here's an item that may be worthy of some bonus points for mstahl75.

The only pitfall, at least on my virtualized VC2, is that only the first line gets displayed on the "Virtual Machines" tab. It displays a tiny piece of the top of the second line's text, which is slightly annoying but not a show-stopper...

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Interestingly enough, now when I try it and go out to another machine the line breaks are converted to the squares. So that doesn't look like it is the best answer either Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Looking at the database, it stores that information in two fields, ANNOTATION and DESCRIPTION. Both of those are varchar[/b] in MSSQL. I think that might be what it causing the squares.

0 Kudos
thedafa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

On a[/b] it's enough just to press TAB button after editing note field.

0 Kudos
wunderon
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

LoL, careful with quantity.

I inadvertantly pasted a couple dozen lines of text into the notes box and hit the "Recent Tasks" box. The .vmx file got updated on the Host, but then the Virtual Center service exited with SQL INSERT error. It would not restart.

I had to manually connect to the HOST with the VIC and edit the notes field down to size before the VC service would start.

Apparently VC writes the vmx file, then tried to update the DB. Also clearly no bounds checking on the sql fields.... SQL injection anyone?

(using vi on the vmx directly didn't do it either).

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Interesting. That field has a max of 255 characters so you would think the application would check for that.

0 Kudos
Leethal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Also, so I found out, the VM has to be off to add notes. Bummer that.

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The machine can be on or off. It shouldn't matter. I just tested it.

0 Kudos
Jae_Ellers
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Another tale of woe

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=51691

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- http://blog.mr-vm.com http://www.vmprofessional.com -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Another interesting thing to add. If you have notes on a template and convert that template into a VM then the notes get lost.

0 Kudos
Leethal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It doesn't work for me.....if the VM is running, as soon as I move to another VM and then come back its gone.

If the VM is off at the time of the Note being added, it remains. These VM's are on a 2.5.3 ESX server. That may be the problem.

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I just testd on a 2.5.3 server and when I try to add a note it gives an error: Invalid Virtual Machine Configuration[/i]. That happens when I tab off, like you could to get notes to stick on 3.0. It looks like 2.5.3 doesn't support notes, though I'm not sure why since it doesn't appear to actually update the vmx file, just the database.

0 Kudos
crmartinez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I used to have similar problem but if I move to a different tab (like alarms or permissions) within the VM where notes are being added, they (the notes) will be saved. Do not move to another VM when trying to save notes because they (the notes) will be lost.

0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

For b[/b] use shift+enter and it will put in real

line breaks.

Small issue I know, but has anyone had any luck getting the line breaks to work?

0 Kudos
Adding_notes_to
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The Notes section in the VM's Summary can be updated with information and it can be done via VMVI console and for a Powered on VM too.

After keying the Notes, move to any other Tab of the vm (like Performance, Task & Events, ...) then the Virtual Machines gets Reconfigured hence saved. BUT should not move to another VM, this action is not allowed to save the notes.

0 Kudos