VMware Cloud Community
BlakeTN77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding an extent to a 2nd datastore from the same LUN.

I'm trying to add an extent to a datastore. The LUN I want to use is not showing up in the list though.

I installed new local hard drives to the host and have one 300GB lun. I was able to extend one of the two datastores that I have setup, but it does not appear that the same lun is available to the other datastore. Was there something I missed in configuring the new drives/lun? I need to be able to use this lun for multiple datastores and I thought that was possible.  I'm running ESX 4.0.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do I understand this correctly. You are trying to use one part of that new disk to extend one datastore and the other part for the second one, i.e. create two VMFS partitions on this disk? I don't think this will work nor is it supported. Only 1 datastore on 1 disk/LUN is supported.

What may work is - if you do have a RAID set - to slit a RAID set into logical volumes which are presented to the ESXi host as separate disks.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Do I understand this correctly. You are trying to use one part of that new disk to extend one datastore and the other part for the second one, i.e. create two VMFS partitions on this disk? I don't think this will work nor is it supported. Only 1 datastore on 1 disk/LUN is supported.

What may work is - if you do have a RAID set - to slit a RAID set into logical volumes which are presented to the ESXi host as separate disks.

André

0 Kudos
abbie11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi blake ,

When you say your SAN admin has represented the lun multiple times - did  the admin ever actually delete the second lun, recreate it and then  represent it? I've seen this issue before on a couple of customer sites,  and it's always been on an entry level SAN where I've had to delete the  lun and re-create it.

Yours, Abbie

Winning!
0 Kudos
BlakeTN77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay, so let me explain it further, just to make sure there isn't any confusion. I think you got what I was trying to say, but just to be sure...

I've got 1 new disk/LUN.

I've got two datastores. Datastore-1 is used by VM-1 and Datastore-2 is used by VM-2.

I was hoping to use this new disk to extend both Datastore-1 AND Datastore-2.

For some reason, I was thinking that this was possible. Is it your understanding that this is not supported?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Is it your understanding that this is not supported?

Yes. If you want, post a short description of your current hardware setup (number of disks, RAID sets, RAID levels, LUN sizes, partitioning...) to find out whether there's an easy way to achieve what you need.

André

0 Kudos