VMware Cloud Community
skishore
Contributor
Contributor

Adding VM back to Inventory

I have 2 vsphere clusters in single VC. Last week we failed over to DR and registered all productions in DR cluster. Production cluster was left untouched. When adding VMs from datastore into DR cluster some VMs appended 1 at the end of the VM name and some came up as same as the production name. Why did this happened on some VMs only?

Also one of the administrators tried to remove one of the VMs from production cluster, which was appearing in both clusters as same name. He managed to successfully remove it but it got removed from DR cluster as well. The VM is still running. How do I get this VM back in DR cluster inventory? I tried adding it back to cluster but got the error that it is already registered.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

If both clusters are managed by the same vCenter, the vCenter has added the 1 to identify the VMs as different machines.

You should not have the same machine inventoried on 2 different hosts at the same time - EVER!

Not even if you are replicating the VMDKs and using it for DR.

In a DR scenario, you should remove from the one inventory, then add top the other inventory.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos