VMware Cloud Community
pdidy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adding VC2 to a new domain

I am currently running 2 ESX 3 hosts and VC2 via IP addresses. I have built my skeleton structure and now would like to chnage the VC server which is in a workgroup and my 2 ESX 3 hosts which are accessible via IP to resolve by DNS. 2 questions, The VC 2 server is in a workgroup so is it correct to say all I need to do is add it to the new domain and supply the new IP address and re-register the VMs? Before I do that, I need to have the 2 ESX 3 host resolveable via DNS. The following is a post I found while searching for what files to edit on the ESX hosts, Is this correct?

/etc/hosts

/etc/sysconfig/network

/usr/lib/vmware-mui/apache/conf/httpd.conf

When editing the hosts file, include the fully qualified domain name (FQDN). For example:

ip.address.of.server host.domain.com host

Note the order of the terms in the example above. If the FQDN and the alias are reversed, the remote console parameters use the alias only.

In the httpd.conf file, change the ServerName configuration setting to reflect the new FQDN. For example:

ServerName host.domain.com

After editing the files listed above, run the hostname command with the new FQDN to have the name change take effect without a reboot. For example:

hostname host.domain.com

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
3 Replies
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You must publish VC and ESX HOSTS on the DNS.

It seems to me that the procedure to change ESX names is correct.

You should use Domain users now to authenticate on VC and you must readd hosts with FQDN.

Let me know

0 Kudos
masaki
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Any feedback?

0 Kudos
pdidy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I went ahead and did a fresh install of 3.02 on my hosts. In the setup I entered the new info and then after that I added the VC 2 server into the domain. I had no issues in the process.

0 Kudos