VMware Cloud Community
fmdpete
Contributor
Contributor

Adding Standalone esx 3.5 server license to existing VC2.02 ???

Hi all,

i have a VC 2.02 with few ESX 3.0 servers all up and running OK. Now we have another ESX Server 3.5 wich will not have the VMotion, HA and DRS features ,it is not even on a SAN , strickly a standalone ESX in is own world. My question is that i need to install the license for that server since it is running on the evaluation right now. I have received by email the .lic file but i am wondering what is the best way to administer it. Can i install that additional license to my VC2.02 ? Yes so , how would i manage 2 separate license ? Should i install a license server onto another server ?

Regards,

Pierre

0 Kudos
14 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

for now I would just install the license file on the host until you are ready to bring everything into 3.5 - particularly since you do not need DRS or HA - this way it will keep seperated and easier to manage

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I agree with weinstein..... and you cant manage a 3.5 host with VC 2.02...

Not compatibe: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_compat_matrix.pdf

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
ascari
Expert
Expert

Hi,

you can add your new license in same lic file where you have current license, but i think that you can't administer an esx 3.5 with a vc 2.0.2.

If you want use the same VCS you need to upgrade to 2.5 version.

You can also use license mode not for server (Served) but for host (Hosted) (download your license file)and put your license in an nfs share and then administer you esx 3.5 system with virtual infrastructure client (you not have/use vmotion, ha, drs and storage)

Bye Alberto

0 Kudos
fmdpete
Contributor
Contributor

I tried but i am getting an error.

Here's my step.

Log on to the ESX via VI Client > Configuratoin Tab > License Features > Edit > Use Host License File > browsed to the VMwareSoftware.lic and but at the end i get "The Uploaded License content is not valid"

0 Kudos
ascari
Expert
Expert

is this file for host and not for virtual center? you can chose it in download phase.

0 Kudos
fmdpete
Contributor
Contributor

I am not looking to manage that server via my VC, i really just need to install the .lic file so it doesn't run on evaluation.

tkx

0 Kudos
fmdpete
Contributor
Contributor

the file was provided to me by someone , but i assumed that it was not for VC.... maybe i should validate....

is there a way to get that info from within the lic file ?

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Its plain text, so you should see stuff like:

bla bla PROD_VC and PROD_VCHOST bla bla (VC Server and host agent, maybe?)

They usally make some kind of sense..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
fmdpete
Contributor
Contributor

Here it is...

i have retrieve the content of each section but the big lines are as follow.

SERVER this_host ANY 27000

VENDOR VMWARELM port=27010

USE_SERVER

INCREMENT PROD_ESX_FULL VMWARELM 2005.05 permanent 2 \

INCREMENT ESX_FULL_BACKUP VMWARELM 2005.05 permanent 2 \

INCREMENT VC_ESXHOST VMWARELM 2005.05 permanent 2 \

INCREMENT VC_VMOTION VMWARELM 2005.05 permanent 2 \

INCREMENT VC_DAS VMWARELM 2005.05 permanent 2 \

INCREMENT VC_DRS VMWARELM 2005.05 permanent 2 \

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well, it seems that Vmware has a trial license lic file published at:

This file contains descriptions: Copy/ paste from lic

1. VMware ESX Server Starter = PROD_ESX_STARTER

2. VMware ESX Server Standard & Virtual SMP = PROD_ESX_FULL

3. VMware Consolidated Backup = ESX_FULL_BACKUP

4. VirtualCenter Management Server = PROD_VC

5. VirtualCenter Management Agent for ESX Server = VC_ESXHOST

6. VMware VMotion = VC_VMOTION

7. VMware HA = VC_DAS

8. VMware DRS = VC_DRS

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
fmdpete
Contributor
Contributor

Are you saying that I have an trial license ?

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No not at all...

You have among others a PROD_ESX_FULL VMWARELM 2005.05 permanent 2 \, which must mean VMWare ESX Server Standard incl. vSMP- 2 socket.

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
fmdpete
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm.... So why the "The Uploaded License content is not valid" msg ?

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm clueless, then....(unless the lic file have been edited manually, which could screw it up)

When trying to add the lic file to the host, didi U use the VI client installed from the 3.5 host? (maybe somthing changed in the ESX 3.5 code, and then requires a 2.5 client to do license install on the host?)

I would give VMware support a call, if it dosnt work.

/Rubeck

0 Kudos