VMware Cloud Community
wjd300
Contributor
Contributor

Adding Port Groups and restarting services

If I add additional port groups to my 5.1 environment does it require a restart of the services on the ESXi host?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

No, this can be done on the fly.

André

0 Kudos
wjd300
Contributor
Contributor

We've added three networks on 3 vlans and I added port groups accordingly but the physical nics do not recognize the new vlans. I though maybe I needed to restart network service to correct. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please provide some details about the configuration for the virtual port groups/switches as well as the physical ports.

From what I understand, you are using VST (Virtual Switch Tagging), which requires the physical ports to be setup as 802.1Q ports. In this case please double check that the new VLANs are configured on the physical switch and are on the "allowed" list for the physical ports.

André

0 Kudos
wjd300
Contributor
Contributor

There is no unique configuration on the port group. It is a normal port group with vlan access accordingly. I am curious if setting up these new port groups to access new vlans on the physical switches requires a restart of the esxi hosts networking services.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm often adding additional port groups for different VLANs and I can assure you, there's nothing to restart on the ESXi host. How are the physical ports configured?

André

0 Kudos
wjd300
Contributor
Contributor

They are setup with switchport vlan access to the appropriate vlan id's.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please post a screen shot of the ESXi host's virtual network configuration, which shows the port group configuration and provide the setup for the switch port (e.g. show run int Gig 0/n on a Cisco switch)

André

0 Kudos