VMware Cloud Community
vmware_mike
Contributor
Contributor

Adding New ESX Host in Natted Enviroment

We have Vcenter server running our ESX 4 servers without any issues. However all of the servers are natted together and none are accessible to the outside world. We have recently taken on another group of ESX server that are in another building. These servers are not Natted and have live IPs. They are controlled by the crapiest VCenter server you have ever seen.

Can I add the new ESX servers (new to me they are running 3.5 build 130756 without central storage) to my VCenter as a new Datacenter? Can I do it without doing any port forwarding to my vcenter server because their esx servers use live IPs? If so what are the ports that I need to make sure are open/forwarded? Does VCenter just need to talk to the ESX server and not the other way around?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmware_mike
Contributor
Contributor

Just so everyone know I have read the install guide but I am still not 100% clear. Do I need to do a port forward for ports 902/903 ONLY to me VCenter server? It looks like all the rest of the ports that are required are for the client to talk to vcenter (I know I am good there) or web portal ports for Vcenter that the remote stite doesn't need access to. Correct? Also now that I am thinking about this do I need to have a external DNS entry for Vcenter with a specific IP?

0 Kudos
vmware_mike
Contributor
Contributor

I added the ESX server to my Virtualcenter server and it apears to be working except it becomes disconnected after being connected for a minute or two. Is this due to the ESX host not being able to get back to my VCenter server? Maybe due to a bad port forward? Please help me someone. Thanks

0 Kudos