VMware Cloud Community
MD_Redjack
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding HA or vMotion to vCenter Server Foundation

I have purchased vCenter Server Foundation and I'd like to add HA and maybe vMotion to it.  Where is the pricing model for this anywhere on vmware.com or the web.  I've looked for hours and can't seem to find it anywhere.  Is it even possible to do an a la carte add-on like this??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MD_Redjack
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, after speaking with a VMware rep I think I finally have it figured out now.

The vCenter server Foundation will allow me to create my cluster of 2 hosts (max 3).

Each ESXi host must be licensed, BUT you can use the free 60-day license, indefinitely, with HA and vMotion working, as long as you renew it every 60 days manually.

OR

You can skip the manual free re-licensing and purchase licenses so you never have to worry about it.

Now I know why it's so confusing - VMware wants to make money from people purchasing the licenses, as opposed to you doing it for free every 60 days.  If what I wrote above was written ANYWHERE on the VMware site, I would have known exactly what to do without wasting, literally, 3-4 days scouring the internet looking for the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There's nothing required for the vCenter Server edition itself. What you need are the appropriate CPU licenses for the ESXi hosts (see http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf) The features you mentioned (HA and vMotions) are included in all editions except for the vSphere Essentials Kit.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... if you only need up to 3 hosts - with no more than 2 CPUs/sockets per host - you may want to look at the Essentials Plus Kit which could save you a lot of money!?

André

0 Kudos
MD_Redjack
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies, Andre.  Ok, let's get specific.....

I have only 2 hosts, each with 2 QUAD CPU's, plugged into a NAS (right now they're just using the free ESXi 5.0)

I have purchased vCenter Foundation.  I don't plan to have more than 3 hosts anytime soon.

So, with this setup, what exactly do I need to do in order to have:

1.  HA

2.  vMotion

3.  HA and vMotion together

??

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - There are two components that need to be licensed - the ESXi host and the vCenter server for you to have HA and vMotion - the vCenter Foundation license you bought is only for the vCenter Server and the Free License can not be managed by vCenetr which is required for HA and vMotion - so your options are to but the approriate licenses for your ESXi hosts or as Andre suggested return the vCenter Foundation for the Essentials Plus kit which is vCenter and 3 ESXi license bundled  together -

Also fo not worry you will not have to reinstall the tro ESXi host it is just applying the new license -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
MD_Redjack
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, after speaking with a VMware rep I think I finally have it figured out now.

The vCenter server Foundation will allow me to create my cluster of 2 hosts (max 3).

Each ESXi host must be licensed, BUT you can use the free 60-day license, indefinitely, with HA and vMotion working, as long as you renew it every 60 days manually.

OR

You can skip the manual free re-licensing and purchase licenses so you never have to worry about it.

Now I know why it's so confusing - VMware wants to make money from people purchasing the licenses, as opposed to you doing it for free every 60 days.  If what I wrote above was written ANYWHERE on the VMware site, I would have known exactly what to do without wasting, literally, 3-4 days scouring the internet looking for the answer.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

60 day evaluation license and the free license are two different things -   

The 60 day evaulation is just that - gives you access to all features of vSphere - ESXi and vCenter - but the information you recieved is incorrect on how the evaluation license works - it is valid for 60 days only and to reactivate you will have to reinstall the environment from scratch

The free license - is fully functioning ESXi license with limitations applied - including the inability to us HA, vMotion and cannot be managed by a vCenter server

So if you want HA and vMotion to work with out having to rebuild your environment every 60 days you will need to be licenses for your ESXi hosts -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

With the requirements you mentioned, it would have been a better choice to purchase a "vSphere Essentials Plus" Kit instead of a "vCenter Server Foundation" license. The Kit contains licenses for one instance of vCenter Server for Essentials as well as 6 CPU licenses for up to 3 hosts with 2 CPUs each and offers the features you want.

André

0 Kudos