VMware Cloud Community
JamesBHope
Contributor
Contributor

Adding ESX3 Host to Existing Cluster

Hi

This is my first post so go easy on me!

I need to add a new ESX host into our existing live cluster (currently consisting of 3 esx hosts) however I cannot find a howto doc on this, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

James <!-- BEGIN attachments ><! END attachments -->

0 Kudos
5 Replies
InfoStewards
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi James,

Right click on your cluster in VC, and select "add host". You'll need the root password for the host to add it.

JamesBHope
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thanks for the answer. In addition to this, I am guessing I need to fully IP configure the ESX host and patch it. Will it automatically see the SAN storage once it has been added to the cluster. I heard that you should be careful when adding new hosts to cluster as they can wipe any shared storage... sounds like bullsh1t to me but I dont want to make any mistakes!

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Hi James,

You need to make sure all ESX hosts have access to all of the same Networks and Storage BEFORE adding it to a cluster.

You seem like you need a few white papers to read up on...

Try this link http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vi_pubs.html

Good Luck

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I'm assuming your ESX clusters is using a SAN for your storage. In order to have use HA, DRS and VMotion features, your cluster must be connected via Shared LUNs which stores all your virtual machines disks and config files.

Here's a step to add new ESX host to the cluster.

1. Remove all HBA connections away from SAN to prevent accidentally wipe out your SAN LUNs.

2. Install ESX 3.5 Update 1 version on the host and make sure to use the right TCP/IP info during installation and reboot when completed.

3. Make sure your DNS is working if not place static entries in /etc/hosts files as well

4. You can edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config to allow root access if you need to use WinSCP or Putty to manage it. I prefer to use "sudo" instead and more secure.

5. Use VI client and connect to your virtual center server and right click on your cluster and choose "Add Host" and enter FQDN and root/password and select location to place your ESX host.

6. Select your newly added host and start configuring networking pieces, port groups, and add LUNs as well.

You can read a lot more on ESX admin guide on www.vmware.com or www.vmware-land.com tons of info.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
InfoStewards
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi James,

It is possible to wipe the SAN during initial ESX install. As mentioned right above by azn2kew, the connections to the SAN should be physically disconnected or masked from the ESX server until the install is complete.

I have never heard of this happening while a host was being added to a cluster.

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos