VMware Cloud Community
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Add virtual disk, datastore space does not show less?

I have Virtualcenter running in a VM. The C drive is 20GB which is plenty big enough since only about 7GB is being used. I wanted to install Update Manager on VC and knew I needed more space to house all the updates. I went into VC and added another 200GB virtual disk to VC. I then went to disk management on the VC server and added it as a dynamic disk with drive letter E: formatted as NTFS. All of this went very smooth.

When I look at my datastore which resides on an NFS volume on my Netapp, I expected to see the amount of available space drop by 200GB. Instead, within VC, the datastore still shows the same amount of free space as it had before I added the 200GB virtual disk. Does the amount of free space only drop when this E drive starts having files put on it? Am I missing something in all of this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jose_maria_gonz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

hi Henderson,

It could just be a problem of refresing within VC?

rgds,

J

-

El Blog de Virtualizacion en Español

josemariagonzalez.es

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When viewing datastores, I have hit the refresh button and nothing changes. I have exited the insfrastructure client and launched it again, still no change. Unless there is some other type of refresh I need to do, I do not think this is the solution.

0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

you have to keep refresh the HBA scanning for all the ESX host as this is common issue as the storage value in datastore is not correct. The workaround solution, you can also put in a cron job to the ESX host to keep rescan the HBA if you want.

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The plot thickens. When I go into my infrastructure client under datastore this is what I see for my Netapp:

Total Space: 850GB

Used Space: 350GB

Free Space: 500GB

As I mentioned in my first post, these numbers did not change when I added a 200GB virtual disk to one of my VMs. I did carve out an 850GB NFS volume on my Netapp for VMWare so the total capacity reported is correct. I then went to each ESX host and under Configuration, Storage Adapters, I clicked the Rescan hotlink. This is what I am now seeing under datastore:

Total Space: 480GB

Used Space: 350GB

Free Space: 130GB

Somehow it is now reporting the Total Space incorrect! I then went to each ESX host and under Configuration, Storage I clicked the Refresh hotlink and nothing changed. I am running ESX3.5 Update 1 and VC2.5 Update 1. Is there a possibility that this is a bug and if I upgrade to the latest (Update 3) that this problem will go away?

0 Kudos
Johnny_Marcel
Contributor
Contributor

We had the similar issue, I went into VC and rescan the HBAs.

We are using VC 2.0 , hopefully it is fixed on 2.5 , we will be upgrading shortly.

0 Kudos