VMware Cloud Community
chrsun02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Acknowledge alarms remains in Virtual Center

Hi,

Why does some alarms in vcenter stay visable when i have acknowledge them? like this alarm that i have acknowledged 2012-07-24

the host have the varning triangle.

2098437.jpg

Regards

Christer S

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

anything that say VKernel is/was from the appliance.  If you are no longer using it, delete the alarm.  Since that alarm technically doesn't exist anymore that is probably why you can't clear it or reset to green.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It seems that sometimes alarms don't disappear even after clearing/acknowledging them. In this case this issue can usually be solved by temporarily disabling and re-enabling the appropriate alarm definition.

André

0 Kudos
chrsun02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Tried to re enable the alarms as mentioned and the old warnings offcourse goes away, sadly it´s the same as before with new alarms I acknowledge but they dosent go away Smiley Sad

Regards

Christer Sundqvist

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

depending on what version of vCenter did you "reset to green" or "clear" the alarm as well?

0 Kudos
chrsun02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

2098437_2.jpg

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

when you right click on triggered alarm, do you see 'reset to green'

0 Kudos
chrsun02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

No only Acknowledge is available and that is on the ESXi Host. had another alarm for Vcenter and that alarm had reset to green option

/christer

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My guess is this is coming from a VKernel Appliance you have running in your enviornment? If this is the free vOPS Server Explorer, I am not sure how to uncheck the Vkernel Alarms that come with the appliance.  You may have to delete the appliance and re-deploy into the enviornemnt. Once that is done, don't "enable realtime alarms for performance analyzer, instead just use the vCenter alarms.

If I am correct, after you delete the appliance, you'll have to manually delete the 6 alarms created by the Vkernel Appliance.

0 Kudos
chrsun02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi ,

We have it installled or atleast leftovers from the appliance, in my attached pic there is two alarms. one from vkernel (is that alarm from vmkernel appliance) ?. and the second Host memmory usage  witch i guess is standard VC alarm.

Can it be that i cant get rid of acknowledged standard alarms due to VMkernel appliance ?

2098437_1.jpg

Regards

Christer

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

anything that say VKernel is/was from the appliance.  If you are no longer using it, delete the alarm.  Since that alarm technically doesn't exist anymore that is probably why you can't clear it or reset to green.

0 Kudos
chrsun02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

The vkernel appliance dosent exist in our environment anymore but i guess some of the alarms still do Smiley Happy How about alarms from Vcenter  Operations manager, cause that appliance is installed,

Regards

Christer

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

we don't run vCOPS so i'm not sure if/how the alarms related to that are created in vCenter.

0 Kudos
chrsun02
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Today i hace cleared all things related to Vkernel appliance. Recived a new alarm from one of the ESXi hosts ,Host hemory usage. Checked the host and memory was above 90%. Acknowledeged the alarm and then moved 2 virtual machines to get memory usage under 90%. It´s now currently at 88 % and the alarm triggers on 90, i Still have the ackked alarm left on the host ????????????

Anyone outhere have any thoughts on the matter.  ESXi 4.1  Vcenter 4.1.0

Regards

Christer

0 Kudos
chrisvond
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same issue.

On vsphere and server 4.1.0

I have a number of datastore that have reached over 90%.

Acknoleged alarm, (No option to reset to green), did this days ago.

Alarms greyed out but wont disappear.

Red alarm mark icon still apears on each datastore.

0 Kudos