VMware Cloud Community
AmitKatkar
Contributor
Contributor

Accessing vCenter 5.0 server from vSphere 5.5 client

Hello Experts,

I have two different environment and both can be access via my single Jump server.

We have installed vSphere client 5.5 on Jump server and able to login to vCenter 5.5.

However, My question is how i can use vCenter server 5.0 from my Jump server using vSphere 5.5 Client.

Thanks in advance.!!!

Thanks & Regards, V-MAN IT -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You can (need to) install multiple versions of the vSphere Client simultaneously on the same system. When you start the vSphere Client, it's actually a launcher.exe which is started and which will call the required vSphere Client version after it determines the target host/vCenter version.

André

0 Kudos
vuzzini
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Amit,

You must install an additional vSphere client 5.0 on your Jump Server and launch a random vSphere Client from the Jump Server and log-in to vCenter Server.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Sandeep Vuzzini Sr. DevOps Engineer
0 Kudos
AmitKatkar
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a.p. and Vuzzini,

Can you please elaborate more in this process.?

If i install vSphere client 5.0 then will it impact on my 5.5 access ?

Thanks & Regards, V-MAN IT -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert

No impact.. they can coexist on the same machine.. so if you point your vsphere client to a 5.5 VC/esx, it will use the 5.5 binaries. If you point it to a 5.0 VC/esx, it will use the others..

Regards

Girhs

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
Praveenmna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Actually you don't need a separate VI client to access vCenter server 5.0 and vCenter server 5.5. From my understanding, I believe you have already installed VI client for 5.5.

Just try to access the vCenter server 5.0 from the VI client which you installed and it will prompt to either Save or Run the required binaries. You can either save it and install later OR directly install by opting RUN.

Once the binaries are installed, you can able to access both vCenters from same VI client.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Praveen P Senior Support Engineer
0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert

Yes but even with this approach, you end up installing both versions.

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos