VMware Cloud Community
WEI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A general system error occurred: at line number 7, not well-formed (invalid token)

I've installed a few fresh ESX 3.5 Hosts and a fresh Virtualcenter 2.5 install. All is working fine except when I click on the "Network Adapters" option under configuration. It gives me the following error:

A general system error occurred: at line number 7, not well-formed (invalid token)

ESX 3.02 hosts do not give me any problems and this is the only issue with the 3.5 Hosts. I have already reinstalled VC without any luck. I also installed a fresh copy of vc and chose the temp licensing just in case. The "Networking" option shows my virtual switches without any errors.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mouchel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I logged a call with VMware Support for this, and here is their reply (it worked for me):

ESX server 3.5 is installed with Cisco CDP enabled by default on the virtual switches.

I would like you to turn off this feature, to do so you will have to connect on the service console of the involved ESX server and enter these commands for each virtual switches :

esxcfg-vswitch -B listen vSwitchABC

esxcfg-vswitch -B down vSwitchABC

Please note that "vSwitchABC" as to be replaced by the name of the virtual switches installed on the ESX.

As I said this worked for me, and the VMware engineer said that it will be in the public KB soon.

Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
esiemiat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am experiencing the exact same issue. Did you find a solution?

0 Kudos
planetman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi. I am experiencing the exact same problem with a completely fresh install of ESX server 3.5. The servers that I have upgraded from 3.02 do not experience this problem.

However, if I use the VIClient to connect directly to the 3.5 server the problem does not occur and the network adapters are displayed correctly.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm not on the 3.5 boat yet, but maybe i can still help a bit. "Not well formed" is developer speak that usually goes along with XML files. Xml format within Vmware are used by some configuration files. For example the file you have to edit in order to do scripted installs is an xml file.

So when is an xml file not well formed? The most common case is that you have an opening tag, but not a closing tag.

In this example the parameter is still SomeSetting, the setting itself is now stored in an attribute "MyAttrib" and the tag is self closed by the forward slash on the end of the tag.

Suppose that the tag is synomous for token. The invalid token bit could also indicate a corrupt token or maybe a case sensitivity issue on the tag/token.

So not the answer, but hopefully a better understanding of how-to interprete the error message.

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is true for me as well. I can view and configure network adapters when I connect directly to the ESX server, but not when I connect through a virtual center server. This issue is also affecting anything that requires a list of network adapters, such as vSwitrch configuration screens.

0 Kudos
WEI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

At least I know I am not alone on this one. All other functionality seems OK.

0 Kudos
Mouchel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I logged a call with VMware Support for this, and here is their reply (it worked for me):

ESX server 3.5 is installed with Cisco CDP enabled by default on the virtual switches.

I would like you to turn off this feature, to do so you will have to connect on the service console of the involved ESX server and enter these commands for each virtual switches :

esxcfg-vswitch -B listen vSwitchABC

esxcfg-vswitch -B down vSwitchABC

Please note that "vSwitchABC" as to be replaced by the name of the virtual switches installed on the ESX.

As I said this worked for me, and the VMware engineer said that it will be in the public KB soon.

Mark

0 Kudos
WEI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
WEI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That did it! Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
elifalek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Excellent solution, work for me also.

Thanks alot

0 Kudos
anicolai
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello All

I have the same errormessage when trying to reconnect hosts to virtualcenter after letting Update Manager apply patches between release of 3.5.0-u3 and 12. january 2009. I watched my hosts boot an discoveret that the IPMI driver for baseboard management controller failed to load. My hosts are SUN blades x6250. Updating the hosts ELOM firmware (BMC Fimrware + BIOS) from 2.0.3.6 to version 2.0.3.10 resolved my problem. The IPMI/BMC driver no longer fails and I van reconnect my host. After I saw this on six hosts I updated firmware on the remaining 14 hosts BEFORE applying the patches.

-Alex Sørensen

0 Kudos