VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A VM goes to standby mode for unknown reason ?

We are running vCenter Server 4.1.

We find that we are not able to ping a VM (Windows 2003 Standard Edtion) this morning.

When we check it in vCenter Client console, we observe that it says "It is going to standby mode". When we attempt to log in (I guess we bring it up from Standby mode - Is it correct ?), we get a message "A ticket of type mks has been acquired" in the event log of vCenter Server. We would like to know what does this message means.

Besides, we check the power option and it is "Always On" but Hibernation is also enabled. However, it still should not go to standby mode.

Your advice is sought.

Thanks

Message was edited by: TonyJK

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Someone must have logged in, and standby instead of logged out.

Either that or your screen saver is putting it in standby after some time.. It has to be OS driven, because VM ware doesn't do anything with active state of OS.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I find that the VM is paused and get the following message in vCenter Server

Alarm 'Virtual machine total disk latency' changed from Green to Gray info

Alarm 'Virtual machine memory usage' changed from Green to Gray info

Alarm 'Virtual machine cpu usage' changed from Green to Gray info

Resource allocation changed info

Your advice is sought

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Someone must have logged in, and standby instead of logged out.

Either that or your screen saver is putting it in standby after some time.. It has to be OS driven, because VM ware doesn't do anything with active state of OS.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I agree is something within the OS. Make sure all power options are disabled. And, for what it's worth, ignore the VM disk latency alarm, it doesn't work.

TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dear RParker,

Yes, you are right. The screen saver is somehow turned on.

I guess it is because we use a Domain User that may have set up so that screen saver is enabled after 10 minutes inactive. I have to discuss with Server Administrator how to change the GP so that it will not happen in the future.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos