VMware Cloud Community
phowarth
Contributor
Contributor

A Change in Maintainence Mode in VC 2.5?

Did Vmware make a change in the way that Enter Maintainence Mode Works? I use to be able to select Enter Maintainence Mode in VC 2.0.x and it would evacuate all powered on VM's. You would have to manually migrate any vm's that were powered off. Now it gives you the ability to migrate powered off boxes or suspended guests. But I get the warning message below for any powered on VM's.

"There are one or more powered on virtual machines on host x. The requested operation will proceed once all virtual machines are powered off or migrated to another host."

I ended up manually migrating each vm guest but didn't have to in the past what gives?

Pete

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Well the message shows that the VM's will still be migrated. Nothing else has changed with respect to maintenance mode. So if something isn't working with vmotion, it could be your vmkernel ports. Since you manually migrated, I'd say your DRS wasn't configured for Automatic.

0 Kudos
phowarth
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I just changed contracts and it worked fine on my last contract. The network is just horrible at this new contract and I thought something changed in VC.

0 Kudos