VMware Cloud Community
SFlaherty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

4.0 to 4.1 Swing Migration question

Hi, I am upgrading our existing 4.0 farm of 15 ESX4.0 hosts onto new hardware. We are building the new environment from scratch on HP BL490c G6 blades running ESXi4.1 (on HP 4gb Sd cards, no disks). I will be manually creating our DRS rules and permissions (not too many to manually re-create).

I have done similar 2.5 to 3.0 and 3.0 to 3.5 migrations by simply disconnecting the host from the old Virtual Center server and connecting the host to the new VC server. The new hosts are zoned on the san and storage array so that they can see all of the same storage and networking has been configured identically as the old servers.

My question is, has anyone disconnected a running host with vm's from a 4.0 VC server and then connected it to a 4.1 VC server? If so, did you have any issues I should watch for?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sabya1232003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There would be no impact on the running VMs while moving from 4.0 to 4.1 vCenter.Its already tested by many experts.The only thing you may have to do is to use the new version of vSphere client.its recommended to use 4.1 client to connect to the 4.1 vCenter.

We had few issues related to access performance tab and other pluginns on the new vCenter ...nothing else comes to mind right now.

All the Best for a smooth migration ..

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you add a host to a vCenter it will be automatically disconnect from a previous vCenter.

So I suggest only to disable DRS and HA from the source cluster, and migrate the hosts by adding to the new vCenter.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
sabya1232003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There would be no impact on the running VMs while moving from 4.0 to 4.1 vCenter.Its already tested by many experts.The only thing you may have to do is to use the new version of vSphere client.its recommended to use 4.1 client to connect to the 4.1 vCenter.

We had few issues related to access performance tab and other pluginns on the new vCenter ...nothing else comes to mind right now.

All the Best for a smooth migration ..

0 Kudos
SFlaherty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I successfully moved the first host (I did pare down the number of running vm's to 4 non-critical just to be safe) simply by disconnecting on the source and then adding a host on the target. After the move was completed it still showed on the old datacenter so I did a "remove" and that cleaned it up from the old system completely.

0 Kudos