vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  2nd vCenter for seperate segment?

Posted Feb 06, 2011 10:05 PM

Hello,

I'm working on reconstructing our current VMware Infrastructure to be more secured, and effecient.  Currently we have all our main environments on the same network: Production, Dev, Test, QA.  I'm researching and trying to figure out best approach to isolate the Production from the "Applicaion Delivery (Dev, Test, QA, LAB)" environments.  Both will be on completely different networks and it will be a VMware solution.  I also plan to use "Lab Manager" for this environment including staging new VM's in "App Delivery" environment first and then transition them to production after QA.

Is it logical to add a 2nd vCenter in the a "Application Delivery" segment and then open the appropriate ports to allow both the Production and "App Delivery" vCenter function in Link State Mode?  I'm hoping this will allow me to manage both environment from just one (Prod) vCenter instead of having to jump on a different PC's in the other network.  If so then I assume I will need to open the appropriate port for the Lab Manager's web interface.  The dev and server team will be using lab manager often so I was hoping we don't have to setup a 2nd PC in the "App Delivery" segment as we already have an extra one for a completely different envrionment.

We currently using vSphere 4.0, but the plans is to upgrade to 4.1 before making these changes.

Any help would be appreciated.

~Jeremy

• 2.  RE: 2nd vCenter for seperate segment?
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 07, 2011 05:54 AM

You can use a second vCenter.

But a single vCenter can manage also host in other segment.

So it's just depends by the number of hosts/vms, by the "speed" across the two segments and by your security requiments.

Andre