VMware Cloud Community
mwheeler1982
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2008 R2 Guest Customizations Not Working

I'm trying to deploy a machine from a template using guest customizations. I'm specifying computer name, joining to domain (tried NETBIOS and FQDN), and company name. I'm using prompt for static IP during deployment.

When I deploy from template, none of these settings take effect. I found a couple of log files in C:\windows\temp\vmware-imc....

Here is my guestcust.log:

Customization in progress set to 1 at 2011-Apr-06 15:02:13
Rpci: Sending request='deployPkg.update.state 4 0 C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log'

Rpci: Sent request='deployPkg.update.state 4 0 C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log', reply='', len=0, status=1

Successfully opened key SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\
Rpci: Sending request='deployPkg.update.state 4 100 C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log@The system cannot find the file specified.
'

Rpci: Sent request='deployPkg.update.state 4 100 C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log@The system cannot find the file specified.
', reply='', len=0, status=1

Customization in progress set to 0 at 2011-Apr-06 15:02:13
Rpci: Sending request='deployPkg.update.state 5 0 C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log'

Rpci: Sent request='deployPkg.update.state 5 0 C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-imc\guestcust.log', reply='', len=0, status=1

SysprepDecrypter status is invalid. (status = 3)
The system cannot find the file specified.

There was also a toolsDeployPkg.log:

## Starting deploy pkg operation
Extracting C:\Windows\TEMP\vmw5812.tmp to C:\Windows\TEMP\vmw5823.tmp
Expanding C:\Windows\TEMP\
Expanding C:\Windows\TEMP\vmw5823.tmp\guestcustutil.exe
Expanding C:\Windows\TEMP\vmw5823.tmp\imgcust-reboot.exe
Expanding C:\Windows\TEMP\vmw5823.tmp\sysprep\guestcustutil.exe
Expanding C:\Windows\TEMP\vmw5823.tmp\sysprep\sysprep.xml
Expanding C:\Windows\TEMP\vmw5823.tmp\sysprepDecrypter.exe
Package command = guestcustutil.exe customize  -sealparam "/quiet /generalize /oobe /reboot" -nics 4000 -schedulenativeunobfusc
Running expanded command: C:\Windows\TEMP\vmw5823.tmp\guestcustutil.exe customize  -sealparam "/quiet /generalize /oobe /reboot" -nics 4000 -schedulenativeunobfusc
Command completed with exit code -1
Package deploy was successful
## Closing log

I tried uninstalling Symantec AV (SEP 11) on the template and re-deploying, but it had no effect.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

do you have any other 3rd party tools installed on the template you are deploying off of?

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006025

0 Kudos
mwheeler1982
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the following things installed:

* All Windows Updates as of today (including .NET 4)

* Networker Client

* Oracle ODBC client

* Python

* VMware tools

I had Symantec Endpoint Protection installed, but I removed it during troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe uncheck the IIS role, if it' enabled, and try again.

0 Kudos
mwheeler1982
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No roles are set up.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

can you uninstall Python and try again?  Either that or create another VM from scratch and don't install anything except M$ patches and Guest Tools to see what happens.

0 Kudos
mwheeler1982
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ugh.. I've wasted an entire day on this.

The versions of Python we need are a pain to get working on 2008 R2, so I'd rather not start from scratch again. I could've been done by now doing the customizations by hand for the number of servers I need to deploy. I guess that's what I get for trying to save time.

I'd appreciate it if someone from VMware could look to see what the "SysprepDecrypter status is invalid. (status = 3)" message means, since there is zero public documentation for it.

0 Kudos