VMware Cloud Community
AaronAnderson
Contributor
Contributor

2 gripes about my customization template

I've got 2 small gripes about my current customization template file and I'm hoping the community can help out.

I built a Server 2008 R2 template. Set it up the way I want it. Did not sysprep.

Built a customization specification that joins the machine to the domain. I have checked the option to generate a new sid.

Gripe #1) Everything about my administrator account is reset. In my template I have the password set to never expire and the account is renamed. Once the new machine is powered on, the account is set to expire and the name is set back to Administrator.

Gripe #2) I always end up with "vmxnet3 Ethernet Adapter #2" -- Not a huge problem but it's kind of annoying.

What can I do about either of these?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Gripe #1) Everything about my administrator account is reset. In my  template I have the password set to never expire and the account is  renamed. Once the new machine is powered on, the account is set to  expire and the name is set back to Administrator.

This is a known issue.  I don't know if it's a Microsoft thing or VMware thing. VMware awhile back acknowledged the issue and since the customization process is done by vCenter, VMware said they would be fixing it.  As of vCenter 5.0U1 it's still not fixed.

Gripe #2) I always end up with "vmxnet3 Ethernet Adapter #2" -- Not a huge problem but it's kind of annoying.

you have confirmed within the OS that there are no "hidden" adapters?  Also, your template is setup to not show "VMXNET 3 Ethernet Adapter #2?

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
  2. Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1, and then press ENTER.
  3. Type Start DEVMGMT.MSC, and then press ENTER.
  4. Click View, and then click Show Hidden Devices.
  5. Expand the Network Adapters tree.
  6. Right-click the dimmed network adapter, and then click Uninstall.
AaronAnderson
Contributor
Contributor

Re: #1 - Gotcha. I can script my way around that. No big deal.

Re: #2 - Done that. I only see "vmxnet3 Ethernet Adapter #2" The un-numbered adapter does not exist.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

have you seen the below article as well?

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1020078

0 Kudos