VMware {code} Community
yeohuixin
Contributor
Contributor

can not understand orchestrator plugin

Hi,

I just started to learn vmware orchestrator I read vco_410_developers_guide on the inside of the plug-in development very interested, but I have no reason to clear the relations of several major components in the plug-in development, such as a plug-in addition to business-related jar package, there is an inherit the interface of the adapter jar files. Documentation for the adapter interface to create the factory and manage objects. Create a factory can manage objects in order to find the plug-in object, how to achieve it? I saw examples of notes and said to the object by adding the gauge and triggers. gauge and trigger in the end what is it? How to use the gauge and trigger to create a workflow process ? I look at source of solarsystem, but the code does not IPluginEventPublisher interface implementation class, it makes me so confused, this interface does not implement the management functions can be added?

Best to use an example。

who can help me?

Be grateful

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sanchezs
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

I'd recommend you to go step by step with the plug-in development, and the Developer's Guide is a good starting point.

First, you can focus on the concepts and roles of the vso.xml file, the Plug-in Adapter, the Plug-in Factory, the Finder Objects and the Scripting Objects. Re-read the Overview of Plug-Ins chapter, and you can safely ignore the Events, Gauges, Triggers and Watchers for now.

Second, you can try to install and explore de Solar System plug-in to verify how the previous concepts work (again, ignoring the events and related stuff for now). The Components of the Solar System Application section talks about that plug-in.

And third, you can try to create your own plug-in from scratch or taking the Solar System as example. You can follow the Create an Orchestrator Plug-In chapter. And once again, you can ignore the events and related stuff. You goal should be to create a plug-in project structure, to create a very simple model of objects that you want to expose inside your plug-in, to define a valid vso.xml file to expose those objects and create a simple inventory with them, to implement a plug-in factory to be able to find those objects, to implement a plug-in adaptor to connect vCO with your plug-in and your plug-in factory, and to create a plug-in package (DAR file) that you can install in vCO to use your plug-in.

Once you have your simple plug-in and understand how it works...

That includes basically:

• Create the plug-in project with all the required elements and package it as a vCO plug-in DAR file.
      • Install your plug-in through the vCO Configurator.
      • Expose your plug-in scripting objects inside vCO.
      • See your plug-in inventory objects inside vCO.
      • Create new vCO workflows using your plug-in objects.

...then you can continue with the events, gauges, triggers and watchers.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Sergio

0 Kudos
Mike777
Contributor
Contributor

A link to the document you are referring to here would be nice.

0 Kudos
Burke-
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Mike, go to http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/developer/forums/orchestrator , under "Resources" click the "Download" button. Login with your account and download the SDK and documentation - that is What Sergio was referring to.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you!

Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator
for vRealize Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @TechnicalValues on Twitter
0 Kudos
sanchezs
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Mike,

As Burke explained, the current and recommended version of the document is included inside the SDK and you need to get it from there.

Nevertheless, if you want just to have a look at it, an older version is available directly from the web: https://www.vmware.com/pdf/vco_410_developers_guide.pdf

I hope it helps.

Sergio

0 Kudos
Mike777
Contributor
Contributor

Sergio,

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the SDK but I do not see any documentation in it. The UpdateSite-VCOPSK-com.vmware.vide-2.0.0.464971.zip file only seems to contain jar files. Was that the correct file? I only see 4 files on that page, the one I mentioned above, one for a log reader, a license file and one for OSS libs.

thanks for your help,

Mike Morgan

0 Kudos
sanchezs
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately for vCO 4.2 this guide is available only as interactive help pages embedded inside the Eclipse help (see attached screenshot). And it's available only after you install the Plug-in SDK in your Eclipse IDE. Nevertheless, for the next release we're working again on an independent and publicly available version of the guide as a single PDF file.

Sergio

0 Kudos