VMware {code} Community
madady
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Log retention in Orchestrator client

Hello everyone,

Sorry if my question is a bit offtopic, but I would like to find out where and what I would have to configure in order for my Orchestrator server to keep workflow execution logs for a specified period of time.

Right now I have 4 workflows which are scheduled to run every minute (they poll a database) and if I start the Orchestrator client, the oldest execution logs are from 2 minutes ago (even if I get execution entries for a few hours back). If I remain logged in, I seem to be able to access all the logs gathered in the current session.

Is there a parameter I can change which would instruct Orchestrator to purge execution logs older than X days (or even to keep Y log entries)? These logs are useful for reactive troubleshooting.

Thank you in advance,

Adrian

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Adrian,

It is not possible to keep such logs. They are just part stored in the client and not in the server. Also, one cannot set retention for persistent logs on a duration basis. These are basically size-based.

What you can do is:

- Keep a client opened.

- Use Server.log and not System.log in your workflows. This logs are created in the Server and can be found in the events tab from the Workflow or any of it's category (folder).

To add, in the configuration you have two parameters: General tab -> Advanced configuration:

Max number of events

Max number of runs

These will set how much entries per workflow will be kept and how much finished runs will be kept. Purge is done on a hourly basis.

Settings these to zero will retain all logs, beware though that the database will grow indefinitely and performance will therefore degrade. But, these settings only apply for Workflow events, if you are talking about Execution logs (just shown under the execution logs tab when a Workflow execution is selected), this settings don’t apply.

I hope the above info is useful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Adrian,

It is not possible to keep such logs. They are just part stored in the client and not in the server. Also, one cannot set retention for persistent logs on a duration basis. These are basically size-based.

What you can do is:

- Keep a client opened.

- Use Server.log and not System.log in your workflows. This logs are created in the Server and can be found in the events tab from the Workflow or any of it's category (folder).

To add, in the configuration you have two parameters: General tab -> Advanced configuration:

Max number of events

Max number of runs

These will set how much entries per workflow will be kept and how much finished runs will be kept. Purge is done on a hourly basis.

Settings these to zero will retain all logs, beware though that the database will grow indefinitely and performance will therefore degrade. But, these settings only apply for Workflow events, if you are talking about Execution logs (just shown under the execution logs tab when a Workflow execution is selected), this settings don’t apply.

I hope the above info is useful.

0 Kudos
madady
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Angela,

I will try Server.log instead of System.log Smiley Happy

0 Kudos