VMware {code} Community
mateenhussain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can I drive UI automation thru Orchestrator

Hi

I'm a total newbie to this concept of VMware and I have been assigned the task of automating my company's installer on VM Servers. So I was wondering if Orchestrator is the right technology for automating UI actions like button click etc. Also can I automate Pre-boot input thru keyboard visa Orchestrator. If not can somebody please point to the right way of doing it.

Thanks,

Mateen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I agree with Sia that you should go for silent installs but I understand that this not always possible.

A valid alternative is to use WASP from within PowerShell (with PowerCLI toolkit).

Have a look at the demo that was done during VMworld Europe 2009: VI Toolkit Demos at VMworld Europe 2009 (Part 2 of 2: UI Automation)

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Orchestrator is probably not a good way to emulate button clicks. However, most installers do have a silent install option and if you could launch it with in silent install mode and provide all the answers the installer needs, you are very likely able to do this in vCO.

Sia

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I agree with Sia that you should go for silent installs but I understand that this not always possible.

A valid alternative is to use WASP from within PowerShell (with PowerCLI toolkit).

Have a look at the demo that was done during VMworld Europe 2009: VI Toolkit Demos at VMworld Europe 2009 (Part 2 of 2: UI Automation)

0 Kudos
mateenhussain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Guys

Thank you for pointing me to WASP. I think this would help me perform automation. Well I was concerned not just about installer, but other UI automation too. But Installer was the first place to start with. But I'm stuk with another problem.

The application (for whom I'm driving automation) needs input from the user even before I see the windows Logo (which we call real mode). The way it behaves is:

1) Power on VM

2) Enter UserName

3) Enter Password

4) Windows Boots

5) Logon to windows using Username & Password

6) Start the application.

I'm worried about Automating step 1,2 & 5. Any ideas on that.

Thanks,

Mateen

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Since you drive the automation from another machine than the one your deploying, the question for the username and password could be done with a Read-Host cmdlet.

$user = Read-Host "Username"
$pswd = Read-Host "Password"

Once you have the username and password you could try using the CustomizationSysprep object (with the CustomizeVM_Task method).

In the sysprep parameters you could enter the username & password adn ask for a one-time autologon.

Once this is done you can further automation with the help of WASP (provided you have PowerShell present in your gold image).

Mind this is not an easy process. Trust me I have been there Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mateenhussain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just to make sure you are not talking about Windows Login and Password right? Coz the first set of username & password (which I'm having trouble automating) is even before Windows boot time (which I normally enter by clicking on the screen and then typing thru keyboard).

Also where can I get all the needed info , pre-req software to install WASP etc....

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, I was thinking you were referring to the Windows logon userid & password.

What are the username & passcord collected in 2 & 3 for then ?

Did you already have a look at the WASP homepagein Codeplex ?

To install WASP have a look at Marco Shaw's answer.

0 Kudos
mateenhussain
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Lu

The way our software works (data secure software) is it locks up the hard drive and requires you to enter user name and password to unlock it. From that point onwards the OS (i.e Windows) boots up (like regular boot) and then asks for its own username & password. So you see we have to enter two different sets of usernames and passwords, one to unlock the Hard Drive (i.e during real-mode) and then one for the OS.#

I've looked at WASP homepage and it seems I need to learn Powershell, which I'm going thru right now.

Thanks,

Mateen

0 Kudos