VMware Cloud Community
eoliphan
Contributor
Contributor

v2.7 Autodiscovery of network devices

Hi,
First I want to say the the setup claim of 1 hour is just wrong. I got it up and running, mgmt box plus 5 servers in a little over 30 minutes 🙂

I am curious about the autodiscovery feature. It's very good about finding all the services and processes on the box monitored by the agent. However, I don't see any options for network discovery (switches, routers, etc). The only option based on my reading seems to be adding them manually. Is it possible to have an agent walk the network, looking for network devices, computers, etc to monitor them at the NIC or SNMP level ?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
dougm_hyperic
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

On Jun 9, 2006, at 3:16 PM, Erich Oliphant wrote:

> Hi,
> First I want to say the the setup claim of 1 hour is just wrong. I got it up and running, mgmt
> box plus 5 servers in a little over 30 minutes 🙂

Sorry about the false advertising 😉

> I am curious about the autodiscovery feature. It's very good about finding all the services and > processes on the box monitored by the agent. However, I don't see any options for network
> discovery (switches, routers, etc). The only option based on my reading seems to be adding > them manually. Is it possible to have an agent walk the network, looking for network devices, > computers, etc to monitor them at the NIC or SNMP level ?

Network Device platforms are added manually, but their services (such as Network Interfaces) will be auto-discovered. We don't currently have built-in support for auto-discovery of the devices themselves. However, you could use a scripting language of your choice to scan the network and generate an import file like so:

<!-- netdevices.xml -->
<hq>
<platform name="My Router"
type="Network Device"
fqdn="myrouter.hyperic.com">

<!-- ip address of the router -->
<ip address="10.0.0.1"/>

<!-- ip address of the HQ agent that will monitor the router -->
<agentconn address="10.0.0.21"/>

<!-- snmp configuration for the router -->
<resourceConfig snmpCommunity="public"
snmpIp="10.0.0.1"