VMware Cloud Community
archer_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

trying to monitor a file

I need help to monitor the content of a file each time the file content changes I need to draw the result as a new point on the chart i.e. if the file contains 12 the chart updates and draw 12 then after a while this file will contain

then the chart draw 29

the question is what is the best way to do this?

do I've to make a new plugin?
or
there is another way to solve this using script monitoring or fileserver file service?

please help.
thanks in advance
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jtravis_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Good news -- HQ already provides a way for you to do this with the plugins it ships with.

Look at the third screencast here:
http://www.hyperic.com/demo/screencasts.html

It's a demo which will show you how to use the Script service to do exactly what you want.
archer_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry but I need to mnitor a txt file content on windows xp and need a direct way to do this the 3rd screencast helped me to make a batch file which displays the content of the text file and this text file is generated externally by another application as you can notice this is a long way to draw a chart of the first integer in a text file

I'd like to know if there is a direct way to draw the contents of a text file and if there is a specific format for this file to do so .Also I'll be thankfull if I can monitor many entries in the same file

thanks in advance
0 Kudos
archer_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for help
0 Kudos