VMware Cloud Community
jkstraw
Contributor
Contributor

traps from servers with HP SIM

Good morning,

I have gone through and set up a network device and hijacked one of my existing agents as a SNMP Trap relay agent. This works great (although the notification seems dependent on the agent collection interval...which defeats the purpose of using a trap instead of polling).

Regardless - I would like to get the same functionality from the traps that can be sent from HP System Insight Manager agents. I have looked through the documentation and read the forum posts but I have not been able to get things working as I hoped.

Briefly - I would like to the traps from HP SIM to show up as log events for the server (little blue box on the server's main metrics page). This is how the network device SNMP traps work - but I can't seem to get this functionality on the server level.

Can anyone clarify if this is possible - and if so the steps to implement?

Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ama_hyperic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can setup a agent on the HQ server and configure it to receive SNMP traps:

http://support.hyperic.com/confluence/display/DOCSHQ30/Agent+SNMP+Trap+Receiver

After that, configure your network devices to send their traps to the HQ server and traps will show up as events in that agents indicator view.
0 Kudos
jkstraw
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - thank you for the response.

I have already done exactly that for our network devices. I am referring to the ability to send traps from the server (specifically the HP System Insight Manager implementation). Setting up the HP SIM for each server as a separate network device isn't an option because 1) it will be categorized as a separate platform (which it isn't) and each network device requires its' own license (EE version).

Any other ideas? Perhaps this is a enhancement request?
0 Kudos