VMware Cloud Community
orangehand
Contributor
Contributor

newbie question re installing on centOS server

I have successfully installed the server and agent on my Mac OS X server machine, and it works locally, serving and self-monitoring. I really want to be able to monitor my hosting server, which is centOS. Can someone give me a step by step to installing the agent on the server via command line please?
My questions/worries are:
Do I need to create a dir on the server and issue the agent download command from that location?
Once the download has completed, what do I do next to invoke the setup procedure?
I assume that I need to do all this as root, in order to monitor the apache and sendmail processes for all the hosted domains?
Many thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
anrodmom
Contributor
Contributor

Once you have downloaded the agent,
Open a terminal session and you have to unpack with tar -xzvf command.
Create a folder where you want to install the agent (mkdir folderName).
Go to the unpacked folder and look for setup.sh file. In order to install you have to type this in console: ./setup.sh
With root user you can't install the agent.
You can create a new user o use another different from root.

I hope this help you.
0 Kudos
orangehand
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but...
I assume I have to download the agent onto the centOS machine - do I issue the untar command in the same directory that I have downloaded it?
When invoking setup, will it ask me for the target dir on which to install?

Thanks
0 Kudos
anrodmom
Contributor
Contributor

do I issue the untar command in the same directory that I have downloaded it?

Yes, when you do the tar -xzvf command it will create a new folder and inside will be the agent install files.

When invoking setup, will it ask me for the target dir on which to install?

Yes, it will ask you for the target directory. So before, create a folder for the target directory.
0 Kudos