VMware Cloud Community
Jared_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

newbie config problem?

Hi all, I am attempting to implement version 4.0.1 on 32-bit Centos 5.2. Both server and agent installed with no problems. Back-end DB is Oracle. (Oracle and Linux) Account was created, access tested fine.

The agent starts up fine, generates its token, etc. The server says it starts up fine, but when I go to open the home page (in Firefox 3.0.4) , it dies at 36% loaded (displaying the message "Status: Starting event message queue...") Subsequent attempts to access the page garner a 404 error from Tomcat (v. 5.5, if it matters) with the error "The requested resource (/) is not available."

Looking around the net I found a reference to an /etc/hosts misconfiguration, but mine seems OK.

If anyone can suggest a troubleshooting approach I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
jh
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MarieMcGarry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Researching the documentation, this page:

http://support.hyperic.com/display/DOC/Installation+Requirements

says:

X Libraries on Unix-Based Platforms

On Unix-based platforms, HQ Server requires the libXp.so.6 X library to create charts and other graphics in the HQ Portal. The location of this library varies by version and provider:

* Enterprise Linux---As of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and CentOS 4, libXp.so.6 is in the xorg-x11-deprecated-libs RPM.

I don't know for a fact that this relates to your problem, but have you done this step?

-m
0 Kudos
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Jared,

Could you please attach you server.log file or files ?
$SERVER_HOME/log/server.log

I guess it's a database problem, so is there a chance that you might download and try out the package bundled with PostgreSQL ?

Cheers,
Mirko
0 Kudos
skullone
Contributor
Contributor

I finally got Hyperic to install on OpenSolaris 2008.11, but I too am now getting this 404 error when first connecting to the admin page.

It'll do the same thing, generate some queue, to 30%, then give a 404 to /

I've tested the DB connection, and all seems well, not sure what the issue can be.
There is nothing indicative inside any log files at all.
0 Kudos
skullone
Contributor
Contributor

I grepped the log file for 404, and did find this:

$ grep 404 server.log
2009-01-16 19:36:44,404 INFO [main] [com.hyperic.hq.reporting.server.session.ReportingStartupListener@14] Creating reports directory /export/home/bjones/hyperic/server-4.0.2-EE/hq-engine/server/default/deploy/hq.ear/hq.war/reports
2009-01-16 19:37:10,404 INFO [main] [org.hyperic.hq.product.server.session.ProductManagerEJBImpl@387] geronimo deployment took: 0.03 seconds
2009-01-16 19:40:42,404 INFO [main] [org.apache.jk.server.JkMain@342] Jk running ID=0 time=0/25 config=null
0 Kudos
skullone
Contributor
Contributor

I finally got it installed after tweaking JRE 64bit settings, and removing all entries from the hosts file

Not ideal, but it worked =/
0 Kudos